.460 Rowland

I have a cartridge with the
star ROWLAND star 460
headstamp that is the same dimension as a 451 Detronic Magnum. Only differance is the Rowland cartridge has a narrower extractor groove.
What is the story about this cartridge and headstamp.
Thanks,
Bob R.

Bob

You meant “wider” extractor groove, didn’t you?

The 460 Rowland is a custom conversion of the M1911 pistol offered by Clark Custom Guns. The wider extractor groove is to accomodate the M1911 extractor. Like the Detonics Magnum, it’s really just another super 45 ACP, if you will.

Ray

This thread should really be titled .460 Rowland, since it is about that cartridge.

The .460 Rowland was developed by Johnny Rowland of the “Shooting Show” TV Program. It was introduced in the latter part of January 1999, after reportedly it had “been in the experimental stage for nearly two years…” I am not sure what there was to experiment when, as you pointed out, it is essentially the same as the .451 Detonics Magnum cartridge externally. I am not sure how different it is internally. Both cartridges have a strengthened case, aside from being longer, than the .45 A.C.P. cartridge.

Although initially touted in the popular gun press, this cartridge did not achieve any major popularity. Everything in my file on it is dated in the first part of 2000 or earlier. The newest Starline catalog I have, from 2006, still shows the cases as being available. I have never seen any other headstamp than that of Starline on this caliber of ammunition.

In literature from “The Shooting Show,” based in Dubberly, LA. at the time, ballistics are shown for bullets from 185 grain (1530 fps) to 230 grain (1325 fps). Jim Clark’s “Clark Custom Guns,” in Princeton, LA, seems to have been the primary source for guns and conversions to this caliber.

Rowland had plans for a Ruger Revolver (factory-made) in this caliber, as well as for some form of semi-automatic carbine, but I am not aware of either coming to fruitation.

Ammo was offered by Georgia Arms in at least three loadings:

Index 460A Power Plus with Nosler 185 grain JHP bullet @1550fps
Index 460B Defense Load 185 grain JHP @ 1400 FPS
Index 460C Hunting Load with 230 grain Gold Dot HP @1350fps

The price of the three loads was 25.50, 21.50 and 28.00 per box of 50 rounds, respectively.

Reference: Press Release, The Johnny Rowland Shooting Show, c. January 14, 1999; “American Handgunner” magazine, November/December 1999, pages 66, 99-100 “Taffin Tests the .460 Rowland Magnum” by John Taffin.

John Moss

John

As of early 2007, Clark was still offering the conversion kits and the ammo.

Kimber is supposedly offering, or will offer, the cartridge in it’s line of 1911 type pistols. A Dan Wesson revolver is also in the works. And Ruger too, as I understand.

I confess that I don’t “get” all of these souped up 45 ACP cartridges. I have shot thousands and thousands of 45 ACP over the years and can’t imagine what I could have shot any better or any deader with something like the Rowland.

Chalk my skepticism up to old age, I guess.

Ray

Ray - I share your skepticism for self defense guns. I can’t speak for hunting handguns, where probably none of the cartridges that use the M1911 shoting platform are adequate, with the possible exceptions of the .45 Winchester Magnum and the .40 G.I. In a hunting handgun, the single-shots and the revolvers are king, as far as I am concerned. Fior defense, the .45 A.C.P. still does it just fine, despite being over 100 years old now.

I am surprised that anyone is still contemplating bringing out a new gun for this. They were talking about a Dan Wesson and a Ruger in 1999. It has sure taken them awhile. I can’t see them competeing with, say, the .500 S&W. Actually, to me, a handgun is a handgun and a rifle is a rifle. These handguns in humongous calibers are, IMHO silly. O.K. Don’t nail me to a cross guys. I said that’s my opinion!

Heh…that’s why I have a disclaimer in my signature line.

At one time, the Clark site mentioned that a version necked down for .40 caliber projectiles was in the works. Right offhand, I can’t think of the proposed name.

I finally found the name of the necked down version. It was to be named the .46[color=red]4[/color] Rowland.

135 grain @ 1800 fps (defense load)
155 grain @ 1825 fps
180 grain @ 1650 fps

John, do I take it that the .45 G.I. is the .50 necked down? I’ve not come across that one - any details?

Tony - my answer said .40 G.I., not .45 G.I. However, it was a typo. It should have said .50 G.I. My only point was that few cartridges that have been used in the M1911 Colt/Browning Pistol are really adequate hunting rounds, with the exception of the .50 G.I. and the 10mm Remington, which I forgot. The .45 Win Mag was used in the Colt Browning Design, but due to its length, the gun was extremely altered in shape, with a grip so deep that someone with stubby fingers like mine can barely reach the trigger, the length of pull is so long. I should have limited that comment to the .50 G.I. and the 10mm Remington, because the .45 Win Mag is kind of a different ball game. Sorry for the typo error. Computers have turned an excellent typist into a terrible one. Too easy to correct, and with poor eyesight, hard to spot my errors to correct them.

We both managed to produce typos concerning the calibre of that cartridge! :-)