5.2 Mondragon

I just obtained a round of 5.2 x 68 Mondragon with a Polte headstamp. According to Datig Vol. 1, this has a pretty interesting sounding bullet. Does anyone have a photo or drawing of this projectile?

Hendere - this cartidge is very well covered in “Guns of the World,” a soft-cover publication (1972) of Peterson Publishing Company. It includes pictures from the Patents, pictures of cartridges including cutaways showing the bullet, picture of a box label, and a final picture showing ten (!) variations of this cartridge.

I am afraid to post a scan of the pictures from the article here, due to copyrights.

If you send me your mailing address, I will mail you a copy of the article - I am not sure how good a copy will be compared to the original pictures though. Please don’t send your address, if you want to at all, until after April 9th, as I will be at the St. Louis cartridge show and will have no time before I leave to handle this. Send your address in a PM to me, of course.

Here is a scan from The Cartridge Collectors Notebook by Yust:

I was going to suggest that same reference. I think CSAEOD is still selling those, really an essential work for any cartridge collector.

Thanks Guys. I actually have The Cartridge Collectors Notebook, but had forgotten about the article. I highly recommend the book by the way. This forum is great!

[quote=“Ron Merchant”]Here is a scan from The Cartridge Collectors Notebook by Yust:

[/quote]

I own the copyright on this publication as well as some old stock to sell.

All are welcome to use it as they wish.

Charlie Yust was one of my heros and had written the best articles about variations of military ammunition ever published. I recovered the copyrights for the articles from the NRA and Petersen Publishing and Steve Fuller made a book out of them back in his publishing days.

IT IS STILL THE BEST ONE BOOK SOURCE OF INFORMATION ON MILITARY RIFLE AND SMALL ARMS CALIBER MG AMMO AS WELL AS A VARIETY OF OTHER TYPES OF AMMO.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Hendere - this cartidge is very well covered in “Guns of the World,” a soft-cover publication (1972) of Peterson Publishing Company. It includes pictures from the Patents, pictures of cartridges including cutaways showing the bullet, picture of a box label, and a final picture showing ten (!) variations of this cartridge.

I am afraid to post a scan of the pictures from the article here, due to copyrights.

If you send me your mailing address, I will mail you a copy of the article - I am not sure how good a copy will be compared to the original pictures though. Please don’t send your address, if you want to at all, until after April 9th, as I will be at the St. Louis cartridge show and will have no time before I leave to handle this. Send your address in a PM to me, of course.[/quote]

I wrote an article for Peterson , at their request , in 1971 about the Mondragons. It was the first article which I ever sold. It was rewritten and expanded by the editor at the time ( don’t remember his full name-Hans something as I recall) and published under his name.$50 in 1971 was a lot more than it is today!

The editor of the publication, and stated author of the article in Peterson’s Guns of the world published in 1972 was Hans Tanner. At least they had the courtesy to use your name in the acknowledgments, along with many others.

Yes Hans Tanner. He died not long after. What he came up with was far more than I wrote . He used my article as a road map and fleshed it out. The best thing published on the subject as of that time(maybe still?). I was happy with the $. It was the first and last money which I ever took for writing about ammunition. I decided that promoting the information was a responsibility and have not taken any money since.

Last year the “Shotgun News” wanted to “insist” that I take their money for a couple of articles which I wrote for them but no.

I have gotten far more out of the ammo world than I put into it and am happy to share what information I can to promote knowledge and more over SAFETY.

People too easily forget ( including me) that these things are DANGEROUS and we all have to try to keep that in mind…

as I recall the 5.2 Mondragon bullet is soldered on a metal pusher disc.

Hmmm…
Shotgun News printed a Tokarev article of mine. I don’t remember any offer of payment. Darn, that would have been my only piece of “Professional” writing.

[quote=“Jon C.”]Hmmm…
Shotgun News printed a Tokarev article of mine. I don’t remember any offer of payment. Darn, that would have been my only piece of “Professional” writing.[/quote]

Maybe the check is in the mail. They actually pay pretty well. You might want to look into it before you send any copy. They asked me to write and that may make a difference- I don’t know. The editor at the time was trying to expand the “articles” section.

This is my first post. I just joined this morning. I have never been to a showing or sale and a good chance it will be a time before can make a trip out of Alaska to see the elephant. I’m new to the collecting but came across a good little start from a friend gone. If I was to use a 5.2 mondragon as trading stock, can any body give me an idea on price ranges for this cartridge. A scale guess of one two ten or do I go NRA poor to mib. Anything would help, I am clueless. Thanks

[quote=“tom c”]This is my first post. I just joined this morning. I have never been to a showing or sale and a good chance it will be a time before can make a trip out of Alaska to see the elephant. I’m new to the collecting but came across a good little start from a friend gone. If I was to use a 5.2 mondragon as trading stock, can any body give me an idea on price ranges for this cartridge. A scale guess of one two ten or do I go NRA poor to mib. Anything would help, I am clueless. Thanks[/quote

There are a variety of Mondragon cartridges. If you have the rather typical 5.2 with the typical ( POLTE)headstamps and it is in good condition - no corrosion or breaks in the case or primer it could easily be in the $200+ range today. The Swiss ones are certainly higher than that.

Hard to advise without a photo.

I have never seen a fired case from one of these. Does anyone have a photo of a fired one ?

Thanks for posting that F-mdt. It looks French; they didn’t load it did they?