5.44mm Hartmann

I came across with this interesting box (or what remains of the box) of a sub calibre 5.44mm short.

imageshack.com/a/img633/7218/6TiQnE.jpg

Someone can help and let me know in what gun it was used? It was used with an adaptor? It is common this box?

I have also one cartridge unit in the colection for this same caliber but Long. Just few units and not the box.

Thanks in advance
Daniel

Daniel,

SCHUCHARDT & SCHUTTE, some information is located here: cartridgecollectors.org/?page=22 … tification )

Quote from the above PDF- “This company produced .22s for use in auxiliary cartridges. An auxiliary cartridge in 8 m/m Mauser is known. They reported offices in Berlin, London, and New York. They produced these boxes in Germany prior to World War II.”

Brian

The Use of the term “JNFANTERIE GEWEHR” ( with the “J”) would indicate use in the M1888 Rifle and Carbine (Kar 88) with an adaptor ( probably steel) made like the M88 RN Cartridge.
5,44mm would be a .214 Bore with rifling at about .220 Grooves): designed not to be able to use the common .22RF ( 5,6 Flobert). ( ICBW, the “5,44” could be a commercial CALIBRE, then the BORE would be around 5,2mm ( used in Mondaragon experimentals) or .205". which ever it is, it is a “One off” size.

A Bullet this small would be able to have an adaptor “barrel” extending up the cylindrical “8mm” Bullet as well, probably with a modicum of Rifling. Generally made for “Indoor Barracks Practice” during the colder winter months, which in Northern and Eastern Germany was very cold indeed.

Interesting. Now to find a matching steel adaptor.

Doc AV

Daniel,

This short version was mentioned in a previous thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12410

Paul

Taking a closer look at the picture, the third cartridge on the top right looks more like a 22 Short (different bullet and a thinner rim).
Is it headstamped too?

Paul