5,45 x 39 Barrel Erosion Round

Looking for some info of the barrel erosion round pictured betwen the tracer and the blank. Countries who made it, etc.

[/img]
By dgfm, shot with DiMAGE 5 at 2009-07-05

Thanks in advance !!!.

That should be a “Barrel Proof” round, Romanian variation I think.

AKMS

[quote=“AKMS”]That should be a “Barrel Proof” round, Romanian variation I think.

AKMS[/quote]

Thanks AKMS !!!, only Romania make it ?, wich is the romanian designation ?, headstamp ?.

There are also Polish ones.

I know of Romanian barrel proof load with headstamp “324 89”. Surely there are others. I do not know the official designation.

As EOD said, Poland makes this as well and used the same kind of projectile. Soviet/Russian and East German barrel proof use a different type of projectile (pointed FMJ) and mark it with a yellow tip.

AKMS

[quote=“AKMS”]I know of Romanian barrel proof load with headstamp “324 89”. Surely there are others. I do not know the official designation.

As EOD said, Poland makes this as well and used the same kind of projectile. Soviet/Russian and East German barrel proof use a different type of projectile (pointed FMJ) and mark it with a yellow tip.

AKMS[/quote]
Thanks again AKMS, I identify the yellow tip as reference round, is this correct ?.

DGFM,
The reference (ballistic standard) is white (just the tip).

The all yellow projectile is the barrel proof (not to be used in weapons) which is the same as the long and heavy projectile in question here. Due to the unique shape and over length it usually does not get painted yellow (I know just one Hungarian lot where this heavy projectile on a 7.62x39 got a translucent yellow painting - the only exception so far)

The all black projectile is the weapon proof or HPT as we all know it.

[quote=“EOD”]DGFM,
The reference (ballistic standard) is white (just the tip).

The all yellow projectile is the barrel proof (not to be used in weapons) which is the same as the long and heavy projectile in question here. Due to the unique shape and over length it usually does not get painted yellow (I know just one Hungarian lot where this heavy projectile on a 7.62x39 got a translucent yellow painting - the only exception so far)

The all black projectile is the weapon proof or HPT as we all know it.[/quote]

Thank you EOD !!!.

The Soviet barrel test has an all-yellow bullet, as do some East German, but some East German also have just a yellow tip…

EOD, did Bulgaria follow the Soviet patterns for barrel test and high pressure test rounds?

AKMS

AKMS, the yellow marking was used on projectiles with a regular shape (already pre WWII). Those with the longer and heavier design usually have no markings, I assume it was not necessary since the shape was very unique and the cartridges do not fit into a magazine anymore. (just my theory)

About Bulgaria I can not tell since I have never seen such ones, wish I could answer this question.

You are correct EOD. I was not clear in my post. I was referring to the Soviet 5.45x39mm barrel test cartridge with the yellow marking.

AKMS