5.45x39 question

did the U.S. military ever make 5.45x39 for any reason (like special op or training etc etc)
if so does anyone have a picture of a round or box to share.

thanks

Whos2kno - I see no one has answered your question yet. This is out of my field, but I can say that regarding the 5.45 x 39 Russian round, I have never seen or heard of a U.S. manufacturer making this cartridge. If there is, it would be one of the commercial houses, and likely with cases supplied from abroad. I don’t think the market would be very big for it.

Now, maybe someone who collects those rounds can give us both a really definitive answer.

Hornady loads it commercially… dont think that it was loaded for military… I would think they would be able to find ample “captured” supplies if it was required for something “special”.

hornady.com/store/5.45X39-ammo/

just my 2 cents

Missing something - Thanks for your answer. I did not know that Hornady was doing this cartridge. That is fairly new. However, where did you find anything about them being "reloads."
I would think, from their description, that they are “new” ammunition, almost undoubtedly loaded on Russian-made cases, as all their steel-case line of ammunition is. A “reload” by definition is done on a case that has already been fired once (or I suppose one could say on a cartridge case from new ammunition that has been disassembled and reloaded with a different loading). As Cliff Schisler once pointed out to me regarding something I wrote, a cartridge in a new case (other than the possible exception I noted above) cannot be a “reload.”

Sorry John… mistyped it… should be “loaded” not “reloaded”

been out loading and have reload on the brain… sorry… just a typo…

The hornady ammo is New Loaded ammo in a steel case. As far as I know it has just come out on the market a few months ago…

As for the steel case… I have no idea where Hornady is getting the cases made… but they have a whole line of Steel cased “match ammo” with this case as well…

hornady.com/store/Steel-Match-new

This advertisement was published in may-june of current year:

Wolf sells 5.45mm ammo in the US, presumably imported.

The trademark Wolf is not used by Tula (TPZ) anymore since they lost a legal case with their US partner who is owning the rights now. TPZ is using it’s own trademark “TULAMMO” now.

The “Wolf” brand seems to be using ammunition from Barnaul now. Barnaul seems to have become the major player in the Russian ammo business here in the USA. Can’t speak for anywhere else. The Silver and Golden Bear lines, which I believe used to be Low Voltage Equipment Company, Novosibirsk, now comes with Barnaul ammo in the boxes also.

I have in my collection a couple of dummies made in the U.S. by Military Arms Research Service, a company related to Mr. Stephen L. Fuller (I think he was the VP of the Co.), both are lathe tunned, one made of brass and the other of aluminum, sorry no pics for the moment.
I think they are made at the time that the cartridge surface in Afghanistan, Mr. Fuller told me that at this time the U.S. intelligence suspects the adoption of a new reduced caliber by the former URSS, because pics ot the then unknown AK74 shows a straighter magazine compared with the standard 7,62 x 39 one, then samples of the rifle & ammo were brought to the U.S.from Astan.

The first AK74 and 5.45 mm ammunition brought to the US were, I believe, covered in an article in Soldier of Fortune Magazine. I think I recall it because the AK in question was missing its pistol grip. The NRA did a test of the cartridge and wrote it up, where they actually barreled up a bolt action rifle with a barrel made to the same specs as the AK-74 barrel (length, rifling characteristics, rate of twist, diameter, etc.) to see how the cartridge stacked up to the 5.56 NATO. I think that frits rifle came out of Afghanistan. I don’t know if it was Soldier of Fortune magazine personnel that acquired it, or if they just got to use it for their article.

I think the dummy rounds made up here in the US by MARS were done specifically for collectors, to provide them with a cartridge dimensional sample at a time when it was impossible to acquire even a fired case for that cartridge. Replica cartridges have a place in collecting when they are so represented. My only specimen of a BSA auto pistol cartridge is a replica. I couldn’t even hope to have a real one.