5.45x39mm "anti-ricochet"

A few years ago I stumbled upon a Russian webiste that had some interesting information about ammunition. One of the more interesting bits was that their combat experience in Chechnya had demonstrated a problem with the steel cored 5.45x39mm ball ammunition. It seems that these rounds tended to bounce around inside the mostly concrete block houses and buildings during urban fighting, creating a real danger to the user. It was mentioned that a special “anti-ricochet” load was developed. I have not been able to find any more information about this and wondered if anyone else had. Could it be that they simply started using a lead cored projectile similar to the commercial offerings seen here in the US, or could it be a more “frangible” type? Any information appreciated!

AKMS

Yes, they did. It is a lead cored FMJ. The designation is “PRS”. They also developed this projectile for other small arms calibers.
This projectile is in Service with Police/MIA.
The manufacturer is Barnaul.

They also developed a “non lethal” 5.45x39 with a “bean bag”, actually being a rubber projectile containing lead dust. They called it “Lastik”. It has been rejected because it was still piercing sculls and the feeding was not satisfying since the projectiles are more or less blunt tipped.

Have also seen Russian docs mentioning 5.45x39 duplex rounds.

For the TP-82 survival gun for air and space crews they developed the soft point “SN-P” with the designation 5.45x40 (the 40 is on purpose).

etc. etc. etc.

HOW IS THE PRS DESIGNATED FOR IDENTIFICATION ?

None visible as far as I have seen. Likely on the box, like the sniper ammo in 7.62x54R.

Typical steel jkt.?

Yes.

Sirs,

it’s very interesting to me…

I took a look at JSC Barnaul and I’ve seen that there seems to be PRS ammo in 9mm x18, 9mm x19, 7,62mm x39 and 7,62mm x54R.

Is it possible to me to know something more about these cartridges…I mean…have the pistol bullets only softer cores?..what’s the shape of the (…pistol…)bullets?..are there some measurements about the anti ricochet performances…is there a comparison vs standard FMJ ammo?

All the best
Andrea

These “PRS” ARE standard FMJ. They just did not exist as service cartridges before (for the last 50 years).

EOD,

I don’t know exactly what do you mean with the term “standard”…

do you mean that PRS are simple soft lead cored FMJs?

All the best
Andrea

I wonder of these “PRS” projectiles (in 5.45x39) are the same as the 59 gr. lead cored projectiles with an airspace in the front of the jacket that has been imported into the US.

AKMS

EOD,

I don’t know exactly what do you mean with the term “standard”…

do you mean that PRS are simple soft lead cored FMJs?

All the best
Andrea[/quote]

Yes, correct.

[quote=“AKMS”]I wonder of these “PRS” projectiles (in 5.45x39) are the same as the 59 gr. lead cored projectiles with an airspace in the front of the jacket that has been imported into the US.

AKMS[/quote]

The weight is identical but about the airspace I do not know yet.

Sirs,

thank you very much for the informations…

…about “non ricochet” bullets…are there someone who can tell me more about the finnish KPO bullet and about the swedish “non ricochet” 9mm Norma FMJTC?,(…I guess the latter was developed for the swedish police…)

All the best
Andrea

KPO = Kimpoamaton Poliisiluoti, Ontto = Non-Ricochetting Police Projectile
Mainly made in 9x19.
Manufacturer: Sako
Projectile weight: 7.4 gram / 114 grain
municion.org/seccionados/9x19espG.jpg
municion.org/Efectos/Sako.jpg