5.45x39mm Grenade Blank

Is there such a cartridge as a 5.45x39mm Blank for launching rifle grenades? For many years I have had and seen rosette crimped “blanks” referred to as such, but can not find any reference to what they are, their official designation or what launcher they are used with. I know of two variations, ones commonly found with a red tip seal and have heard of one with a silver colored tip seal.

Any information would be much appreciated!

AKMS

I can’t think of a Russian grenade launcher that uses separate cartridges, other than the 30mm BS-1 “silent” pistol-type; these have their own detachable magazine for the launching cartridges, and are mounted under the barrel of an AKSU (itself usually fitted with a PBS silencer), but the cartridges appear to be of the captured-piston SP-4 type. Max Popenker has a photo of the set-up at world.guns.ru/assault/as03-r.htm , but it’s fairly small. The other launchers in service, like the GP-25 and GP-30 have a self-contained propelling unit in the bottom of the grenade.

The propelling cartridges for the BS-1 are 7.62x39mm with a rosette crimp. The commonly seen photo of this setup makes the cartridge appear to be a 5.45, but further examination and information from Russia show this to be the 7.62x39mm case type, designated “7SCH2”. If these 5.45x39mm rosette crimped blanks are not for grenade launching, what are they for? I do not think they would be regular manouver blanks, as the short case length would not feed reliably…

AKMS

AKMS

The 5.45x39 made of a regular case is for the 50mm “Vitrina” rifle grenade fired from a discharger cup.
It got developed for/before the Olympic games in the USSR in 1980.
Known head stamps are from 1979 and 1980.

Not to confuse it with the slightly shorter tool cartridges made of shortened 5.45 cases.

Here the system:

Here the propelling cartridge:

Here the tool cartridge:

Many thanks for that information EOD! What is the connection with the Olympic games???

AKMS

Plenty of people that had to be kept under control - the USSR had no such event before.
The grenade was laoded with irritant or was just a kinetic energy type.

Today they use the specially developed KS-23 shot gun which has a wide variety of LTL ammo with unique design features. The caliber is given as 23mm but they use cal 4 cases and the gun has an additional discharger cup for irritant grenades and one special plastic baton for kinetic energy effect.
The rounds regularly get missidentified as flare gun ammo.

Very interesting!

Would this 5.45 grenade launching blank then be classified as a civilian or police load rather than a military one?

AKMS

I think so but as many things in the USSR not everything is clear to the end.

Yuri, would this grenade not be used by MIA troops?

Did the USSR have different head stamps for police ammunition in the 1970’s-80’s? As we know they have today (not always though).

[quote=“EOD”]…

Did the USSR have different head stamps for police ammunition in the 1970’s-80’s? As we know they have today (not always though).[/quote]

No, common ammunition used.

[quote=“AKMS”]The propelling cartridges for the BS-1 are 7.62x39mm with a rosette crimp. … to be the 7.62x39mm case type, designated [color=blue]“7SCH2”. [/color]

AKMS[/quote]

AKMS, the correct designation for this cartridge is PKhS-19 “7ShCh2”.

[quote=“Dottor”][quote=“EOD”]…

Did the USSR have different head stamps for police ammunition in the 1970’s-80’s? As we know they have today (not always though).[/quote]

No, common ammunition used.[/quote]

I thought so Dottor, thanks for confirmation.