5.45x39mm with BRASS cases?

Has there been any production of the 5.45x39mm cartridge with brass cases?

I’ve heard of experimental production by PINDAD in Indonesia and Igman in Bosnia…

Any truth to these two manufacturers making brass cased 5.45x39mm?\

AKMS

Yes on the PINDAD, I have one. There was a brass-cased Yugo round I saw in a couple of Buttweiler auctions that was very similar to the 5.45x39, but I don’t recall what the exact dimensions were.

I can not say for Igman but there are:

PPU
Pindad
Uzbekistan (on Manurhin machinery)
Tula (with S&B head stamp but the cases were never delivered to Czechia)

5.45x39 M74 Questions (5N7 Vs 7N6 vs 7N6m)

Some specimens:

Have any of you guys (Jon, Treshkin, etc) seen a PIN headstamp on 9 mm Makarov? It exists, but I don’t know the format for sure, having only ever received a drawing from someone. A photo of one would be great. I wrote to Pindad a couple of times trying to get one empty case and an empty box, but as expected, never got an answer at all.

John M.

Me not being one of the gents listed above but you have that image already.

No, John didn’t forget you, he used the old English spelling of “EOD”…“etc.” ;)

…and I wondered :)

Sorry, John, I have never seen PIN headstamp on 9x19PM

I have read this many times and I have just one question !

Why were these cases produced -what was the market and who contracted for this item?

What is the story-history behind these boxer primed 5.45x39mm with BRASS cases production ?

Glenn

I have an unprimed empty brass case by Bertrams Bullets in Australia.

[quote=“Stonewall”]I have read this many times and I have just one question !

Why were these cases produced -what was the market and who contracted for this item?

What is the story-history behind these boxer primed 5.45x39mm with BRASS cases production ?

Glenn[/quote]

Actually all brass cases i have seen so far (listed above) are Boxer primed. I wondered about that myself.
Brass cases are easier to manufacture than steel cases.
Also the commercial market may still be more after brass than steel (in the S&B cases I mentioned above).

EOD, including the PPU?

Hans

“All” means PPU too :)

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13315
A link to Fedes list of Pindad cartridges on Pindad 6.5x45 topic.

Kaliber 5.45 mm
MU14-TJ
5.45 X 39
Ball

Is this the case shown here?

And are all the Pindad products boxer primed?

Glenn

Supposedly yes and at least one of their projectiles is identical in construction to the Russian 7N6 but was designated as AP. Unclear if it is still the same projectile named as a ball load here (since we know that the 7N6 was not eally an AP)