5.56 Experimental ammo

These were in my experimental box. I Know what the 222 Special is, just put it there for reference. So what are the other 2? This is another bit of information [ I should have] but lost on my old pc some years ago.

Thanks
Steve

Steve, the 2nd round is the Yugoslavian equivalent of the M196 tracer made by the Igman Plant, Konjice in 1984.

The 3rd round is the .224" Winchester E2. This had a 53gn bullet and was one of the competitors trialled against the 5.56 x 45mm. This cartridge was preceeded by the Winchester E1 version which had a slightly shorter caselength at 43mm.
Hope this helps.

The political deck was stacked against the Winchester cartridge, in favor of the Remington version, even though they were virtually identical. For some tests, both cartridges were fired in the same rifle. Below are the three .224 Winchester cartridges. The E1, the E2, and a steel bullet version of the E2.

There was a third cartridge, the 224 Springfield, which never had a chance either. It was cancelled early in the trials and later became the 222 Remington Magnum.

Ray

Thanks Guys!

Steve

Ray: I wouldn’t blame politics. I would blame the folks who designed the Winchester LMR. The prototype didn’t have any room for growth once they realized that their original .224E1 cartridge wasn’t going to meet the ballistic requirements. The .224E2 case resembled the .222 Special case because the Army wanted to compare the merits of the rifles independent of their cartridges. The ideal cartridge option should have been the .224 Springfield, but as loaded, it was simply too long for both the Winchester and ArmaLite prototype rifles. The .224 Springfield cartridge could have fit in the ArmaLite using shorter projectiles, but the projectiles would have been exceedingly stubby to fit Winchester.

Daniel

I agree that comparing the LWMR to the M16 leads to an obvious conclusion. But, we have to remember, at the time, the .224" cartridges were being considered as a lightweight, low recoil, replacement for the Cal .30 Carbine for sentry and guard duties. Not a full blown combat rifle to replace the Cal .30. For that purpose, the LWMR would have been suitable.

As to the .224 Springfield, didn’t Eugene Stoner himself say that it was a better cartridge than the .223 and had he known about it earlier he could have adapted the Armalite rifle to handle it. But, he didn’t learn about it until after it was killed by politics.

One thing I know for absolute certainty - it is snowing to beat the band. We’ve had 1 inch in the last hour and they are predicting as much as 20" before Tuesday morning. But, as we say in the AZ mountains, it’s a dry snow. :(

Ray

‘Snow’? What is “snow”? From Houston

It’s heading your way!

Here’s a photo that I just took showing the 224 Springfield cartridge. See it?