5.56 Identity

Tha attached picture is of a 5.56 round believed to be in use by the British military. A similar 9mm case has also been found.

Does anyone know the origins of these? Is it Hungarian? Presumably the “00” is the date, so they have been around for a while.

Thanks
TonyE

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if it’s a flaw of the new forum but I can no-longer enlarge the pictures that are posted. I’d certainly like to have a closer look at this one but am unable to do so.
Jim

Jim–To enlarge the image RIGHT click on the image. Click on “View Image”. Then use CTRL + to enlarge the image.

It does not get any bigger than we can see it right now. It just has 100x75 pixels.

As advised many times before the hs should also be repeated in the text.

If there is a “21” in the hs it is a Polish case.

Ron,
I’ve tried doing as you advise but right-clicking doesn’t bring up a “view image” option. Not for me anyway…
Jim

Jim–What Browser are you using? Do you have a PC or a MAC? My instructions are for Mozilla Firefox, but I think it is a Windows command. You have to have your cursor ON the image for it to work.

Ron, the image is simply too small.

Ron, it’s a PC and I use Windows Internet Explorer.

EOD–The method I described will enlarge THAT image in 8 increasing sizes. I will open up the Forum in IE and see what happens.

Ron I have used IE and Fire Fox, both will not increase the image. Could you repost the large one?

Tony,

You said that a similar 9x19mm case had been found. What is the headstamp?

I have a 9x19mm headstamped

9x19P.

21 00

Which is Polish military. I also have it in 94, 95, 98 and 99 dates. It also occurs without the “.” behind the caliber with 93 and 04 dates.

As far as I know this headstamp is used exclusively for Polish military cartridges in 9x19mm.

Your 5.56mm headstamp has two dots that are not on any of these headstamps so it could be something else. Were these two dots on the 9x19mm headstamp you referred to???

Cheers,

Lew

Where did the headstamp come from? If the headstamp is for Polish military use and it was recovered in Afghanistan, it is very plausible as the Polish military is a coalition partner under the International Security Assistance Force.

EOD–I don’t know why the enlarging using Firefox does not work on your machine. I works well on mine. Maybe there is setting that needs to be turned on. I’ll look into it.

You can always save the image to your hard drive then enlarge it in a Photoshop type program.

As to IE, I can’t get it to open as I have my PC set to use Firefox as the prefered browser.

Chris, A posting on the BOCN indicates both the 9mm and 5.56mm were found on a military range in the UK. Still likely from a Polish unit in my opinion, though there are other explainations.

Cheers, Lew

[quote=“RonMerchant”]EOD–I don’t know why the enlarging using Firefox does not work on your machine. I works well on mine. Maybe there is setting that needs to be turned on. I’ll look into it.

You can always save the image to your hard drive then enlarge it in a Photoshop type program.

As to IE, I can’t get it to open as I have my PC set to use Firefox as the prefered browser.[/quote]

Ron, no problem. I figured the hs now anyways and have a similar one.

EOD–I may have foud out why I can enlarge images and you can not. This answer id from a Firefox Help Forum:

Make sure that you have not selected View > Zoom > Zoom Text Only.
If that is selected then you can’t zoom images.
You need to enable full page zoom if you want to zoom images.

Ummm, I have not marked that, so it should work as you say, but it does not for some reason. Thank you for your advice though.