5.56 mm special ball, long range

Black Hills Ammunition, Rapid City, South Dakota, is being awarded a $49,900,000 firm-fixed-price, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract with a five-year ordering period for 5.56mm special ball, long range ammunition. This ammunition is to be issued and deployed in direct support of U.S. Forces engaged in combat involving the war on terror in various overseas operations This contract involves foreign military sales to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. Work will be performed in Rapid City, South Dakota, and is expected to be completed by September 2022. Foreign military sales contract funds in the amount of $3,540,255 will be obligated at the time of contract award and will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This contract was competitively procured via the Federal Business Opportunities website with two offers received. Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division, Crane, Indiana, is the contracting activity (N00164-17-D-JN52).

Is this MK262 or something else?

Bump - does no-one have any idea? Is there any other “5.56mm special ball, long range” in use - by Jordan or the USA?

Wish someone better could answer this for you as I have a meager .223/556 collection.

Believe they are talking about the MK262 Mod 0/1 that was made for the special purpose rifles (SPR). It has a 77 grain Open Tip Match/ Hollow Point Boat Tail bullet on a 5.56 case. Contracted first by Black Hills.
Mod 0 is a Sierra Match King Bullet (Came out in 2002)
Mod 1 is either Nosler or Sierra bullet with a cannalure and a slower burning powder

K

Thanks for that - I had assumed that was probably the case but I just wondered…

Greetings, please tell me what speed should develop Mk.262 if you shoot a barrel with a length of 20 "

Not sure, but it’s supposed to achieve 812 m/s from the M4’s 14.5 inch barrel.

I doubt these empty box photos will be of much help Tony, but?
The Moly-Coated box was a contract for the USMC shooting team. Headstamp was BHA 223 MATCH
56 box
BHA 77 USMC match box

Thanks Pete.

Greetings, I counted in the calculator QuickLoad and I got 820 m / s for the trunk 20 “, for 14.5” it turns out 760 m / s
(at normal pressure in the barrel)

Hmm - that’s quite a difference from the figure I’ve seen… anyone know if Black Hills publish any data on this?

I found a U.S. Marine Corps data sheet from 2007. Velocity for Mk262 MOD 0 as well as MOD 1 is given as 2720 ft/s (829 m/s) at a pressure of 58300 psi.
I assume the velocity is measured at the usual 78 feet (23.8 m). Assuming an i7 of 1.14 (according to Bryan Litz) this translates into a muzzle velocity v0 of 848 m/s (or 2782 ft/s) from a 508 mm test barrel.

Because of the different bullet mass, we have to base the estimate for the shorter barrel on muzzle energy, not velocity. The shorter M4 barrel yields 88 pecent compared to the M16A2 (based on NATO data published by Arvidsson). From this energy estimate the velocity is computed.

Result: about 796 m/s (2612 ft/s) from the M4 based on the 848 m/s from an M16A2.

AZOV2014: We use “barrel” for small arms and “tube” for larger guns. Most of the time, at least. I do not speak Russian, but know that stvol (trunk) is the word for both.

Latest Ammo issued to NZ Army

Excellent, thank you gentlemen!

P.S. I understand that the NZ Army has adopted the MK262 as the standard fodder for their new LMT carbines, in order to minimise the loss of long-range effectiveness from the shorter barrel.

When using Hodgon CFE223, I could not calculate such a speed by 20 “, but on 24” it turned out 856 m / s (2807 fps), the mass of the charge is 24 g, I do not think that it is better to accelerate the bullet.

Capt. T.
Can you please write or show the headstamp on these issued rounds?
Thanks
Do you have any extra empty boxes?

Unable to get clear photo, however Hdst is LC 14 Nato +, I do have a spare empty box

Thanks !!!

PS sent you a PM about the box.