5.56 Radway Green L numbers

I have in my collection 06 RG L17A2 07 RG L17A2 08 RG L15A2 Question, why would L15A2 come out two years after L17A2?

thanks…paul.

The 5.56mm L15 is loaded with ball powder, where the L17 is loaded with tubular propellant. So the date of manufacture is not relevant in this instance.

Cheers

john

Thanks John…So was the L15 used on a headstamp before 2006? I might have this wrong but I thought that the “L” numbers were used to show an improvement in the development of the bullet. So should there be a L16 in service before L17? …paul.

Hi Paul,

I’m not any sort of expert on the British L nomenclature, but do have a few specific notes, which helped answer your question.
I think some of their L system is stupid, to put it mildly. We see both 5.56mm Tracer and Blank, with the same L1A1 designation.
From what little I know, some of the system is designed around the potential NATO manufacturers, as used by Britain. Numbers allocated regardless of whether anything is actually supplied, or not, so just in case. Other numbers do reflect changes to the cartridge, either bullet, powder, or primer. Unfortunately I haven’t had enough time, or interest, to do more research. I also don’t have any lists of manufacturing dates, so sorry about that.

Cheers

John

going to pm you…paul

[quote=“timeout”]I have in my collection 06 RG L17A2 07 RG L17A2 08 RG L15A2 Question, why would L15A2 come out two years after L17A2?

thanks…paul.[/quote]

Could it be that L15A2 was being for a period long enough for the L17A2 round to be manufactured in the same time period, I am not sure of the L15A2 Ball rounds first manufacture but it is highley likley that it was before 06. I will have a look through Tony Edwards files and see if I can find anything on dates for L numbers.

I have seen a photo of an L15A1 manufactured in 99 so L15A2 would be early 2000’s I would have thought

Rich