5.56 STEYR flechette

This telescoped 5.56 flechette was submitted for consideration in the last round of Advanced Combat Rifle tests. The grey line near the base is the ring primer which can be fired from any position on the circumference.

Very interesting!

Might be worth mentioning that the two rivals to the Steyr and AAI flechette rounds in the ACR were Colt’s 5.56x45 Duplex load and the 4.7mm caseless in HK’s G11.

The Steyr ACR was the neatest-looking military rifle I’ve seen - feels good to handle too:

RIGHT. The STEYR gun was a beauty- looks like a space gun. Has anyone seen a regular ball round for this gun ?

I wasn’t aware that they made one. The barrel was smoothbored, wasn’t it?

I wasn’t aware that they made one. The barrel was smoothbored, wasn’t it?[/quote]

I believe so . There must be other kinds of cartridges out there at least in prototype.

NICE

I wasn’t aware that they made one. The barrel was smoothbored, wasn’t it?[/quote]

I believe so . There must be other kinds of cartridges out there at least in prototype.[/quote]

In book Austrian military cartridges vol 2 there is lots of info about that ammunition and its protos.

I believe so . There must be other kinds of cartridges out there at least in prototype.[/quote]

In book Austrian military cartridges vol 2 there is lots of info about that ammunition and its protos.[/quote]

Thanks. These books are great but just too expensive to buy and ship. They offer no wholesale to dealers so it is just not worth importing them.

You may buy the official CD then, might be easier.

New to me that they are out on CD. Who sells them ?

Josef M

Thank you. No doubt the books are superb BUT far too expensive for most collectors and add on the high shipping- no thanks.

These folks offer no wholesale which supresses business.

Tony -

THANK you for the link and the information this is available on CD!!

As CSAEOD noted, shipping books from Europe is horribly expensive.

For the record, there is (or was) a special rate to ship books and similar materials from the US internationally which cuts the cost by 50 - 70%.

[quote=“Iconoclast”]Tony -

THANK you for the link [color=red]and the information this is available on CD[/color]!!

.[/quote]

I am not Tony

The International book Rate was done away with when the new postal rates went into effect. It has been replaced with a 4 pound Flat Rate envelope for $11.00 and a 20 pound Flat Rate box for $37.00. Also, there is no longer any surface rate. Everything going to Europe now goes by air.

[quote=“EOD”][quote=“Iconoclast”]Tony -

THANK you for the link [color=red]and the information this is available on CD[/color]!!

.[/quote]

I am not Tony[/quote]

Sorry for the mis-attribution!