5.56 x 45 Blanks

Quickie question

What are the 5.56 x 45 Blanks with a white seal on the petal crimp. Cannalure around base of case.

I’ve heard it’s the XM version of the M200.

I don’t have one so can’t say what the hs is.

Thanks

Ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Quickie question

What are the 5.56 x 45 Blanks with a white seal on the petal crimp. Cannalure around base of case.

I’ve heard it’s the XM version of the M200.

I don’t have one so can’t say what the hs is.

Thanks

Ray[/quote]
I have one
The headstamp is T W 7 0

Michel

So Michel, how do you catalog yours?

Ray

Ray
I have mine listed as XM200. I have Ron Fuchs book on CD around here somewhere. If I can find it I will see what he says.

I thought I had a XM200 20 round box but if I do it has disappeared also!!

Thanks Phil & Michel

I saw a handful of them for sale for a couple of bucks so I’ll get them.

Ray

Dave Hughes’s book says that white was initially the standard tip seal color according to the 1966 specifications. “RA 65” blanks with white tips would be an example of XM-200. Both XM-200 and production M-200 will be found with white tips. Apparently TW did not do any of the design work, only production, beginning in 1967. So any TW 67 or later blank, regardless of tip color is an M-200.

AKMS

Don’t the current M200 have a violet or purple tip color? When did that change take place? And do these color rules apply to all manufactureres or only to TW?

Ray

If I remember correctly, the tip color was changed because the white sealer was clogging up the gas ports on the m-16.

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]So Michel, how do you catalog yours?

Ray[/quote]
I have the same information as AKMS : the Dave Hughes’s book

Michel

Ray
I have T W 7 0 with both the white and purple sealant if that means anything.

I also have a R A 6 6 with a clear mouth sealant.

Ray,

Hereby the pictures of the box font and backside.

Richard

I found Ron Fuchs CD

Wow! Looks like I opened the proverbial can-o-worms.

I wonder if we’re chasing our tails by trying to pin a particular headstamp to a particular designation? For example - the TW 70 with both a white and a purple sealant. I was under the impression that the purple seal is a later change (because of fouling as Ron said) so why would a TW 70 be found with both colors. Answer - old cases were used. Just like we find Cal 30 Blanks with all sorts of headstamps.

And we haven’t even touched on the other manufacturers.

Looks like a job for someone to sort this all out.

Ray

Ray–I could be mistaken, but I think all or most 5.56 blanks are made from new brass, not reclaimed brass. As to why both colors, white & purple, on T W 7 0 cases is that the change was made in mid year. If I recall, it was in April or May of 1970.

The later TW XM200 and the early TW M200 with white crimp sealant had the cleaning WARNING printed on the back of the boxes as shown in Richard

Mine are XM200 blanks.