5.56 x 45mm die-cast Drill/Dummy

5.56 x 45mm die-cast Drill/Dummy

These dummy/drill rounds are die-cast using what appears to be a zinc based alloy. The hole through the body is 6mm diameter by 34mm deep. There are two shallow grooves, each 1.25mm wide, around the body.

These would be very cheap and simple to manufacture as the die-casting is a single, rapid, operation. There are no signs of any machining operations undertaken after casting, just minor clean up of “flash” at the mould line on some.

Who made these and who were they made for please?

gravelbelly

These are British military. They are Round, 5.56mm Drill L14A1.

I have the name of the manufacturer somewhere but cannot remeber right now.

Regards
TonyE

I think it was a company called System Design Evaluation and they were made in 1995.

That’s the one!

Thanks Jim,
TonyE

Thank you Tony and Jim. Do you know if these were more robust than earlier drill rounds?

gravelbelly

I don’t know if they were better or worse, but we have a long tradition of die cast drill rounds in British service in most SAA calibres (not forgetting the ballast rounds in 20mm and 30mm)

Regards
TonyE

I have never seen these before. I will have to try and acquire one.

Were they something that was made on an experimental basis and not formally adopted?

They were formally adopted since they were given the L14A1 nomenclature. However, I don’t think they were made in great numbers. There may have been only one purchase in the mid nineties but as they are undated it is impossible to say.

Regards
TonyE