5.56mm Hughes lockless unloaded case

Today at the ECRA meeting in the UK I found an unloaded case for the 5.56 Hughes Lockless cartridge in a box of various loose cases. This is the two halves of the plastic cartridge which have not yet been loaded or glued together. Did they use a standard 5.56 M193 Bullet? I would like to locate the correct bullet to put with the case. How common are these unloaded cases?

Thanks for any info.

I weighted one marked " INERT " with a non-magnetic GM-jacketed bullet & inerted (struck) nickel primer and a fired case with a struck primer but an aluminum primer pocket & the difference was 65.6 gr So I would think any GM-jackted 65 gr FMJ would be a reasonable fit.

How common ???, I’d say “hard to find”.

hope this is of help.

Thanks Pete, I will look for a US made 1970s 5.56 round for a bullet.

I asked how common they were as they are the type of item that one of the older, well-connected American collectors could have acquired a few hundred unloaded ones. So for all I knew, thay may have been common in the USA, but if they aren’t then of course it’s not a problem.

Hi Falcon

There are basically two types of cases, one which is 2-piece & was probably plastic-wielded or perhaps glued together, and a 4-piece which has the two main pieces clipped together by the two side pieces which ‘slide up & snap into place’ to complete the case.

Here in the US, all of these different Chiclets types & calibers seem to have come into the market & then were gone the next day, at lest my impression.

PS Chiclets was a form of chewing gum popular at one time here in the US & shaped much like the Hughes, only smaller. Don’t know if Chiclets were sold in the UK or not, still the explanation is free of charge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chiclets_advertisement,_1905.jpg

see you at SLICS?

Thanks again Pete.

I have never seen Chiclets gum here in the UK, but there are similar types of gum you can get here.