5,56x45 marked 'T'

Yesterday, whilst picking up brass after a shoot at the STANTA complex in Norfolk I found these two fired cases lying in the grass.

Does anyone know the story behind this cartridge, given that it was picked up in the UK, has a very British type designation but a very un-British makers mark?

Happy collecting, Peter

Could it be Thun ?

It is Thun. RUAG makes 5,56x45 for the danish forces too with just the T, .223 and year.

Soren

[quote=“mausernut”]It is Thun. RUAG makes 5,56x45 for the danish forces too with just the T, .223 and year.
Soren[/quote]

And here in France, I just found some with T 5.56 10, but very difficult to read those headstamps. Can’t even make a good pic!!

Domi

The French Police is also using 9x19 from Thun.

[quote=“mausernut”]It is Thun. RUAG makes 5,56x45 for the danish forces too with just the T, .223 and year.
Soren[/quote]

Hej Søren
Nice box! And Thun doesn’t made just training-ammo for the danish forces:
I can show a danish SKPT 5.56x45-box of a Thun-made lot from 2008.
Best wishes

If the consensus is that these cartridges were made at Thun it leads to many questions.

Is it conceivable that ammunition made by a neutral country like Switzerland could find its way to Afghanistan? Could it be that this ammunition is only to be used for training within the UK? Have US suppliers been able to satisfy demand from the US military or have they too sourced supplies from other countries recently?

I suppose this batch was bought when the UK was sourcing ammunition from the cheapest supplier worldwide and well before the early 2010 announcement of production at Radway Green for UK forces.

Peter

Enfield, the US are buying ammunition in several countries and get them delivered with typical US headstamps - basically impossible to tell it apart.

[quote=“Defender”][quote=“mausernut”]It is Thun. RUAG makes 5,56x45 for the danish forces too with just the T, .223 and year.
Soren[/quote]

Hej Søren
Nice box! And Thun doesn’t made just training-ammo for the danish forces:
I can show a danish SKPT 5.56x45-box of a Thun-made lot from 2008.
Best wishes[/quote]The two green M/85 boxes (empty ones) in my collection have lot numbers 037-T-08 with a HMAK logo on and 001-T-09 with a FMT logo. They must have had a large bunch of HMAK-marked boxes to fill at the factory…
Soren

used by the Dutch army

used by the Swiss army

empty box ( MODELL INERT )

Tracer cartridge Swiss army