5.6x48 EIGER questions

I’m busy scanning all my 5.6 EIGER rounds and there are some questions. There seem to be a lot of variation on the shoulder/neck as well as the base.

This is a close-up (200% view)

The shoulder diameter on the 1st specimen is 10.84mm, on the aluminium dummy 11.22mm, the bronze turned bullet 10.32mm and on the CNCS 11.00mm

Daan
cartridgecollector.net

Daan
Since no one else has answered this.

My best shot at it is nothing very definitive as, as far as I’m aware there was quite a series of developmental rounds made with rim thickness also added to shoulder angles & such you note.

Paul Smith might have more detailed-to the example information, but I can’t help. Sorry.

I know they also had a 5.68x48 Pat 80 and a 5.71x48 Pat 80 along with the 5.56x48 variations & when held next to the final form 5,56 look just like it. You’ll have to measure.

Good luck information seem hard to get on these.

Hi Daan, Pete is right, very few infos even at the factory museum. You’ll have to compare all your specimens and make your own list… There are a few boxes around but with no great indications.

Hi Daan,

I can add nothing to the above comments excepts pictures of the variations I have.

Regards,
Paul

Paul,
is it possible for you to weigh the pulled bullets you show? Considering the lack of known facts that would be very interesting information.

Are any of the cartridge cases of the Eiger series of cartridges headstamped?

John
None of the specimens in my collection have headstamps, although the PRE-EIGER, which I assume is the left one in Paul’s picture was made from 5,56 brass, however I don’t know what period headstamps were used. I’m in Zimbabwe participating in the triangular clay shooting champs and will only be back in the office next week.
Daan
www.cartridgecollector.net

Hi,

I failed to include this information in my original posting:

The 5.56 x 45 round is headstamped REM-UMC 223 and as Daan has correctly assumed it is prototype load.

The projectile details:

1. 22.29 mm and 3.62 g
  2. 22.94 mm and 3.81 g
  3. 21.84 mm and 3.66 g
  4. 21.63 mm and 3.59 g
  5. 21.90 mm and 3.59 g

I’ve never seen a headstamped round either.

Paul

Thanks a lot for the projectile details.

Daan,

Here are a few more boxes from J-F.

Paul

Gentlemen - this thread is a classic example of the IAA Forum at its best. Without even being two pages, this is a quantum leap forward in the information I have seen on this series of cartridges to date. While not in my primary interest, admittedly, my file on this series of cartridges contained one, single xerox copy of a box label. That’s it!

Thank you.

Paul,
Looking at the pictures of the boxes - What does V7/2, V6/5 and V11/2 mean? The PP and the rest I assume were the lot numbers, with the loading and manufacturing dates. Could that be a specific mark/version? Some of the boxes look sealed but it would be nice to get the measurements of the cartridges.

Just got back from Zimbabwe but got all my scans loaded on my website. I’m working in Cape Town until Saturday, but will try to get some case dimensions listed as well.
Daan
www.cartridgecollector.net

Daan, those designations are the clue to identify many variations of these 5.6 mm cartridges, but some are very difficult to differentiate once taken out of the box. It indicates Versuch (Experiment), model identification number, and modification identification number. Regards, Fede.

The number behind Ladg or Ldg is obviously the propellant mass in grams.

I sadly don’t have anything to add, but as I am very interested in experimental cartridges I just want to say thank you to all of you for writing very handy information and adding brilliant pictures. Threads like these are excellent for keeping newly started collectors as myself interested even when it seems one is getting burned out from searching after new cartridges.

• Ole

Daan et al,

Some more fantastic variations from our friend in Switzerland…

I wasn’t even aware of the one based on a .22-250 case.

Paul