5,7 x 28 mm

hello
I have some question about two type of 5,7 x 28 mm cartridge.
the first version is the SS 90

• this cartridge it is adopted or a prototype?
  • data about this catridge.
    the second cartridge called ss 205
    I’m speaking with many people but I don’t found someone who tell me anything it is possible she produced only for the US Market?
    ss 90

ss 205

[/img]

thanks

That SS205 looks just a bit suspect with the short length of drill in the nose; You’d probably have to chuck the cartridge in a drill to actually do any armor piercing with it. At some point in the process, I suppose the cartridge could get hot enough to ignite the powder, and thus the IT designation.

I would seriously doubt the authenticity of any round labeled “DELTA SEAL/SAS ISSUE ONLY”.

I’m speaking with a menber of FN Herstal belgique and he tell me than he didn’t know this type of cartridge in belgium.
the nose of the SS 205 bullet is very strange I don’t know the reason of the helicoidal part!

This round has been adopted by a number of police and armed forces. I think the Royal Dutch Marines and some Saudi services. Also, at least the Montreal (Quebec, Canada) Police tactical unit uses them.

The round in the first picture is an early ball type with a slight ogival profile. This evolved into a more conical shape. Then, when FN and GIAT merged (early 1990’s) the design was altered. The initial FN designs (ca. 1988) had a GMCS jacket and plastic core. The GIAT design uses a projectile of normal profile with a bi-metallic core - steel in the tip and aluminum in the rear.

As for the ‘SS205’, this looks like a normal training round (T194) to which someone has applied a good deal of imagination.

The “ss205” is a known joke. Yes, that’s a drill bit sticking out of the tip. The label is fake.

That sounds right. That spiral would make auto loading a real problem.

[quote=“samourai”]hello
I have some question about two type of 5,7 x 28 mm cartridge.
the first version is the SS 90

• this cartridge it is adopted or a prototype?
  • data about this catridge.
    the second cartridge called ss 205
    I’m speaking with many people but I don’t found someone who tell me anything it is possible she produced only for the US Market?
    ss 90

ss 205

[/img]

thanks[/quote]

I would like to have one of these for the FAKE collection. Does anyone has these for sale ?

HEADSTAMP 5.7 x 28 FNB 90
Samurai, I was doing some work for the Army when I traded this round [re - loaded without powder from fired round] for a Murray MK1 Booby trap which they wanted to display in the museum at Singleton Army Base and I was going to give them anyway. While I was there I had a look at look at both weapon and ammunition [SS90]the Army had for evaluation
and possible adoption [rejected] as they settled on the Steyr as the replacement for the S.L.R.
They had no rounds with drill bits for tip! and would not part with one of the few live rounds they had left. But at the time I was happy to get his example
as they were not commonly available in Australia.
Terry.