5.8mm Caliber tracer

The 5.8mm cartridge case is used on QBU-141 sniper rifle and made in brass,the tracer is not compatible with the cartridge case. It’s interesting that there is a small metal sheet under the tracer,which is different from type 53 tracer and type 56 tracer. 5.8mm tracer might be rare and this is the first time I got it,I think that’s fun.

2 Likes

It’s a pity that I can’t keep the green paint mark on the tracer,the green mark is worn seriously and hard to see when I got it ,after polishing it,the green mark is disappeared. I wonder if I can got a similar color paint to Re-show it’s original looking.

1 Like

hello
very nice to see a tracer version of the 5.8mm
the brass disc ,i think is for protect the tracer compound

Its more a thin foil…not a “hard” metaldisc, as the hot burnng powdergases has to ignite the tracercompound…

Nice to see it. In Germnay the green color for marking the SS109/M855 bullets are made by using edding ink. But that depends on the color you wish to apply, more translucent, or more dark green…so the colors have a wide span…

PP

1 Like

hello
yes i know that is a very thin foil (you can easily scratch it with your nail),i will do mention it

Pardon my ignorance, but, what is ‘edding ink’?

Why did you polish it?

4 Likes

Edding is a company near Hamburg and a household word in Germany for permanent markers.

2 Likes

I wondered the same thing as Jestertoo. Why polish these rounds? Polishing often destroys things like colored neck and primer seals, colored tips, etc. While I carefully clean, best I can, specimens not easily replaced that are dirty or corroded, I never, ever polish a cartridge. Aside from the damage it can do to markings, polishing to a mirror finish is not even a natural look for a cartridge. I know and respect that collecting is an “each to his own” proposition, but some very nice cartridges have been damaged from a collector’s standpoint by over-cleaning and polishing specimens.

JMHO

John Moss

2 Likes

…yes,after polishing it,I felt very regret about destroyed the color.