5 in 1 Movie Blank

I got one of these today, what calibres does it fit? (I know .44-40 is one of them). Also, wat does “1/4” on the yellow topwad mean? Is it black r smokeless powder? This rounds is headstamped “REM-UMC 5-IN-1”.

Falcon

5 in 1 means they fit 38-40, 44-40 (rifle & revolver) and 45 Colt. 1/4 means it is a 1/4th charge (less noise and smoke.) They are loaded with blank powder.

Ray

Ray
Won’t they also fit a 45 Schfoeld chamber?

The info from Ray is correct as to what is printed on the box, for the blank cartridge replacement for the .38-40 .44-40 .45 Long Colt.

These blanks are fromed longer than just normal case length so that they will feed in rifles. I do not know if the length of a 5 in 1 blank will fit a Schofield which has a shorter cylinder than a Colt SAA.

Can someone please provide the length of a 5 in 1.

I suspect it will not fit, but would be interested in what Ray, or perhaps someone with a Schofield revolver and one of these 5-in-1 blanks has to say. I don’t know the length of the Schofield cylinder, but the 5-in-1 is significantly longer than the Schofield cartridge. I measured a 5-in-1 I have which is 1.550", compared with 1.425" for a Schofield cartridge. Besides, if it did fit, they probably would have called it a 6-in-1 blank. Incidently, the 5-in-1 I measured is marked ‘FULL’ on the red topwad.

Just tried it, a 5 in 1 does not work in a Schofield. It is too long and the mouth of the case hits the frame binding the cylinder.

These are also supposed to be usable in 44 Magnum firearms and 410 shotguns.

The 5-in-1 from the major companies usually have a plain white or gray wad and, as Ray said, use blank powder. But the ones with Red, Yellow or White lacquered wads with 1/4, 1/2 or Full on them were made by Stembridge Gun Rental in Los Angles. Red=Black Powder; Yellow=Smokeless Blank Powder and White=Flash Powder.They all come in Indoors and Outdoors as well. Red is used where a lot of smoke is desired, Yellow when only sound is required and Flash Powder is usually used for night shots to give a nice bright flash.

SDC–They probably would fit .44 Mag. and .410, but that is not part of the 5-in-1 designation. They were first made about 1925 and Remington continued to list them until 1976. The movie industry uses many different loads today using plastic cases.The plastic cases are made by at least 5 different companies. The are usually supplied empty and are custom loaded as needed for the particlar scene. I have a series of 12 different loads with different colored heads. I have yellow, green, black, red, white, orange, purple, violet, and some with one color on the head and the primer a different color, such as purple head, orange primer, etc. I have no idea what each color stands for. The colors are applied with Magic Markers. These all came from a visit I was privilaged to make to Stenbridge Gun Rental, so I know they are not just something somebody made up. These were gathered up off the work bench of the chief armour. All them are brassey yellow plastic headstamped “De La Mare Eng” (Eng= Engneering)

The primary use of the 5-in-1 blank was in Western movies. Gangster movies and war movies used other types of blanks. The primary guns used in Western Movies until replica firearms became so widely used were the Colt Peacemaker (and Hy Hunter copies) in .38-40, .44-40 and .45 Colt, and the Winchester Model 92, often saddle-ring carbines and occasionally full rifles and even short rifles in calibers .38-40 and .44-40. They stayed away, for the most part, from .32-20 revolvers and rifles, and .25-20 rifles, although in one movie (wish I remembered which one) there is a close up of the muzzle of an SAA Colt pointed for shooting and it obviously is a .32-20 or caliber smaller than .38-40, anyway. Occasionally, the movies outdid themselves and you actually saw Winchester 73s and an occasional Marlin Model 94. In one movie with Jimmy Stewart an elderly lady actually has a real Henry Rifle (pre-replica). It is fired off screen, but you never see it actually fired. Probably no blanks for it.

Some of the flash blanks used in movies are what they call “long-duration flash blanks.” Because of the speed at which a movie camera records frames, it is conceivable to photograph a machingun firing and not record one single flash on the film, each one of the shots occuring between frames. Unlike real combat, where machineguns especially are often fitted with flash hiders, the movies like muzzle flash from most guns so the audience has a real sense of them being fired. Of course, in some movies I have seen (we all have seen), the guns aren’t really fired. They are simply presented for firing and then the sound of a gun shot is mixed in when in truth, the gun was not even cycled or fired with a blank. I did the gun advisor bit on a B Movie (Cardiac Arrest - not a bad film for a very low budget film- I got 75 bucks for a day’s work and I supplied the Chief Special used in the movie and the blanks). They did everything on short notice. I told them that the only blanks I had were standard Winchester smokeless .38 blanks, and they might not record any flash on the film - they didn’t; I saw the movie on TV about a year later. It was interesting though. It was filmed in San Francisco, and the only time a gun was fired was in one scene in a yard full of Municipal buses waiting to be junked. Even though they fired a loud Winchester blank, the noise was actually dubbed in later at the level they wanted it. I stood under a freeway in San Francisco and fired about 6 blanks for the sound man to get good recordings to work with. I expected the cops to be there any minute to investigate, but they never came. I guess they knew about the movie, although unlike with big productions, we had no police at the scene. Of course, this was about 25 years ago I guess. Most of the movie they had a toy Chief’s Special - one of the Japanese “non-guns.” It looked good though, and that’s why we had to use an S&W and not my own Colt Cobra as I originally intended. I got no credit in the film since I am not a member of the union. But, it was fun and an interesting experience not everyone gets.

Thanks for your input everyone, now I know what calibres this thing fits.