50-70 Grant's funeral cartridge case

Anyone seen anything like this before? Thoughts?

It appears to say “Fired in volley by 22nd Reg.[iment] at Grant’s funeral”.
The entire 22nd Regiment of the National Guard of the State of New York (NGSNY) was present at Ulysses S. Grant’s funeral, which took place in New York city, 1885. It is a possibility that this was fired in salute at Ulysses S. Grants New York funeral.

A quote from an article in Collectors Weekly about a 50-70 rifle states that “New York, however, was not bound by what the Regulars did, and so ordered 15,000 Rolling Blocks, with a follow up order of an additional 4,500 a couple years later. The Remington Rolling Block would serve New York until the 1890s”.

It is very possible that the 22nd Regiment of the NGSNY would have used a 50-70 Springfield M1871 in salute at Ulysses S. Grant’s funeral in New York. Someone, shortly afterwards, probably carved this into the shell. That is a very intriguing case!

Ryan,
Thank you for your reply; I had determined that the 22nd Regiment was there but had no knowledge about which rifle they would have been armed with. I had assumed it was one of the .50-70 Springfield Trapdoors that were made obsolete by the adoption of the 45-70 Trapdoor.

This cartridge case was brought to my attention by a lady who found it in a bag of ‘tourist souvenir pins’ at a thrift shop. Unfortunately, she has no intention of parting with it.

Guy: Could you determine who made the case? Inquiring minds, etc. Jack

If it is legit, I have no reason to doubt it, Very high gee whiz factor!!

Jack, it appears to be a UMC Berdan-primed folded head case.

Guy: Thanks. It looks good to me; nice to see it. Jack

It would have been helpful if I had included this photo earlier of the stepped head that is typical of early UMC cartridges.

5070Grant4

The image appears to show a firing pin mark that is consistent with a Springfield rather than a Remington. The oblique angle of the image is something of an issue and may be distorting the FP impression. Springfield’s have a slant to the firing pin impression reflecting how the pin is mounted in the breechblock. Remington’s tend to be very hemispherical.

Here’s a straight-on shot of the head. From this perspective it doesn’t appear to have a slant to the firing pin mark, in my opinion.