.50-70 Martin Primed

I’m trying to determine who manufactured this Martin primed .50-70 (and perhaps when). Case length is 1.772" and it appears to have the “re-entrant fold” at the rim.

Hoyem Vol. 2 indicates the U.M.C. and E. Remington cases were 1.83" in length and the shoulder is further out on this one than examples shown of the U.M.C. boxed products. It doesn’t seem to match any of the examples shown in Howard Hoovestol’s interesting article in Journal issue 490, though not all examples are dimensionally described.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave - You might check Guy Hildebrand’s site. He has a lot of good information on the 50-70 cartridges.

Ray

Ray,

You are absolutely correct. Guy’s site is a great resource on this caliber as well as many others. As I understand it, Guy is known to find full cases of vintage .50-70 stuff like it’s something on the shelf at Walmart’s…must be nice to have that level of collector’s skill!

Here is my best guess as to what my item is: (2nd from left in the 2nd line-up of .50-70s)
oldammo.com/november06.htm

This one just looks to have a wider gap in the formed base construction than seen on Guy’s example. Otherwise, I would be guessing FA production…?

Dave

If I remember, correctly, U.M.C. mfg. rounds have rounded edges on the " primer ", whereas on the arsenal mfg. rounds, the " primer " hub is squarer on the edge. Please correct me if I’m wrong !! M. Rea

I don’t know if this will help. I don’t know what it is. I did not section it. It was in a box of junk that someone gave me. A freebie.

Ray

HELLO RAY:
NICE CARTRIDGE YOU GOT FOR FREE. THE CARTRIDGE WAS MANUFACTURED BY FRANKFORD ARSENAL FROM NOVEMBER THRU DECEMBER 1871. IT IS ASSIGNED NUMBER 330 IN DRAWER EIGHT OF THE, SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION AT THE INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION PHILADELPHIA, 1876. AS THERE IS NO CORROSION ON THE INTERIOR OF THE COPPER CASE I SUSPECT THE CARTRIDGE WAS SECTIONED BY ARSENAL, AND NEVER HAD ANY POWDER. THERE ARE VARIATIONS OF THE ANVIL. YES, I KNOW I HAVE NOT ANSWERED THE ORIGINAL QUESTION!!!

[quote]You are absolutely correct. Guy’s site is a great resource on this caliber as well as many others. As I understand it, Guy is known to find full cases of vintage .50-70 stuff like it’s something on the shelf at Walmart’s…must be nice to have that level of collector’s skill!
[/quote]

Thanks, Dave, but I WISH it was as easy as picking them off the shelf. Sad as it is to admit, most of the better items that I have added to my collection over the years have come my way as a result of dumb luck. Having an internet presence helps, however. The two (yes, just two, and both only partially full) .50-70 wood shipping crates that I have were brought to my attention by the owners who had stumbled across my web site and sent emails to me to see if I would be interested in purchasing them. While I don’t have much interest in most of the things that I receive emails about, sometimes what is being offered really does excite me (the wood crates, for example), giving me an excuse to get into my books and log onto the internet (including the IAA cartridge forum) looking for information while I anxiously await the arrival of the big brown delivery truck. These are the items that I picture and write about in my monthly ramblings on my web page. I’m pleased to know that some benefit is derived by others from my efforts.