50-95 Shot

On GB there is a listing for a 50-95 shot cartridge with a plastic sabot. I know about the wood ones but can find nothing on a plastic one, is that a factory cartridge?
Carolyn

CAROLYN:

THE CARTRIDGE YOU DESCRIBE IS THE REAL DEAL. THE PATENT ON THIS PROJECTILE DESIGN WAS HELD BY U.M.C. I THINK THE PATENT DESCRIBES THE PLASTIC CASE AS “CELLULOID”. THE HEADSTAMP SHOULD BE, U.M.C.CO. 50-EX. EVER WONDER HOW BUFFALO BILL BLASTED ALL THOSE GLASS BALLS OUT OF THE AIR WHILE RIDING ON HORSEBACK AROUND THE ARENA? NOW YOU KNOW!

Carolyn, I agree with GWB, this is a wonderful cartridge. The container is actually made of transparent gelatin and was designed by UMC in 1886 as an improvement over other cartridges using containers made of materials that fouled the barrel and altered the shot pattern, and also permitted viewing the shot size (at least one example was reported to be loaded with what it looks like no. 6 shot). Regards, Fede.

Agree with Fede and GWB…when I collected UMC items, I owned one and it is the real deal…

Randy