.50 Action Express

Why is there a small defect on the primer at 6 o’clock? There were several shells with identical defect in different positions around the primer, so the gun caused it. Also, what’s the meaning of semi-colon after “50”, Municion.org has the same headstamp with a single dot instead of 2 dots like in mine.

If I remember well , the Desert eagle pistol has a pump-like ejector on the bolt face that looks like the one on the Remington 700 bolt action rifle and that could cause similar dents

Vlad
found this picture of the Desert eagle bolt face on the web. Note the ejector shape

Vlad - the Colon between the the “.50” and “AE” indicates the case was made by Starline.

I cannot explain the triangular impression on the primer. I have never seen such a thing in my life. I have not handled a Desert Eagle Pistol, the gun that 95% of the fired cases you find would have been fired in, since I retired from the gun business, and do not recall the intricasies of the of the breech face, extractor, ejector and magazine lips, one of which is likely the cause if it happened during firing of the cartridge. Actually, you could probably rule out the magazine lips completely, because if they were the cause, they would have stopped the slide’s full rearward movement, and jammed the gun, thinking about it. I don’t know what else could case it. Were it a single instance, I would say it was an uncaught (by inspection) factory defect, but that is not liely if you found more than one in a single group of cases.

I just noted that Pivi answered while I was doing this. It sure looks like the ejector is the culprit. The action must have been quite violent for it to leave a mark like that, but certainly that’s what caused it, as the ejector is in the correct position in relationship to the firing pin hole to have been the cause.

John Moss