.50 ARES plastic machine gun link

.50 ARES plastic machine gun link.

This link is made of transparent, pale yellow, plastic. Its dimensions are: overall length 44.5mm; length of forward loop 9.6mm; length of centre loop 13mm; length of rear loop 9.6mm; inside diameters of all three loops 25.4mm. There is a small moulded lug facing inwards at the front edge of what I have called the forward loop. Most of the dimensions seem to round neatly to inches which may indicate the USA as its origin. As you can see it is a large link, 20x110mm Hispano slips completely through without being gripped.

Does anyone please know its, calibre, gun, who made it and when?Edited to add calibre to titles

[quote=“gravelbelly”]Unknown plastic machine gun link.

This link is made of transparent, pale yellow, plastic. Its dimensions are: overall length 44.5mm; length of forward loop 9.6mm; length of centre loop 13mm; length of rear loop 9.6mm; inside diameters of all three loops 25.4mm. There is a small moulded lug facing inwards at the front edge of what I have called the forward loop. Most of the dimensions seem to round neatly to inches which may indicate the USA as its origin. As you can see it is a large link, 20x110mm Hispano slips completely through without being gripped.

Does anyone please know its, calibre, gun, who made it and when?[/quote]

As nobody has come up with any answers on this MG link can I assume that it is ULTRA RARE and valuable enough to keep me in beer for life?

gravelbelly

Mk19 Grenade launcher?

I don’t know but I’ll swap it for a six-pack of shandy.

Nice link! It is for the .50 ARES and dates from the mid-to-late 1980’s. The round is telescoped - that is the projectile sits within the case. The cartridge was designed for a revolver type cannon and had a very high cyclic rate. The cases are generally plastic (there are several varieties), but I have a very early aluminum one also.

Regards,
Paul

[quote=“Paul Smith”]Nice link! It is for the .50 ARES and dates from the mid-to-late 1980’s. The round is telescoped - that is the projectile sits within the case. The cartridge was designed for a revolver type cannon and had a very high cyclic rate. The cases are generally plastic (there are several varieties), but I have a very early aluminum one also.

Regards,
Paul[/quote]

Paul,

I post a sensible question about an unknown MG link and get no response for 2 weeks. Then I mention beer and get three responses within a day, what does that tell us about the kind of people who use this forum? Anyway Paul, thanks very much for your reply and identification, now I can catalogue this item.

gravelbelly

[quote=“Paul Smith”]Nice link! It is for the .50 ARES and dates from the mid-to-late 1980’s. The round is telescoped - that is the projectile sits within the case. The cartridge was designed for a revolver type cannon and had a very high cyclic rate. The cases are generally plastic (there are several varieties), but I have a very early aluminum one also.

Regards,
Paul[/quote]

Paul,

Does the little internal lug, visible on my original scan, locate the link by dropping into the groove seen on your case?

gravelbelly

Yes, exactly. The lug indexes with the groove.

Thanks again Paul

gravelbelly

Hi
Is there anyone how know’s what ARES means
On the Dutch site there is a collector how has a 9x19 cartridge with
Headstamp ARES is that the same ARES ??

regards
gyrojet

Gyrojet - as applies to 9mm, Ares is the Slovak compnay of Jozef Mongel, named “ARES, Puskarska Diecna,” located at Dopravna 5, 956 01 Topllcany, Slovakia. The are primarily a reloading company, although they have had their own headstamp on some rounds. They load only 9mm Para, with a variety of bullets, often colored different colors (red, blue, green, black, etc.), and 12 Gauge. I think the color denotes the weight and style of the bullet. I could be wrong about that, but I have a box from them labeled “9MM LUGER 125 grs RED.” They also sell cast bullets, and some firearms and airguns. Their box label indicates they are a gunsmithing workshop as well.

Regarding the meaning of “ARES”, he was, in Greeek Mythology, the son of Zeus and Hera, the Olympian God of Warfare (according to Wikopedia, more properly called "the God of savage warfare, bloodlust or slaughter). In Roman Mythology, they identify the same figure as “MARS”, God of Warfare and Agriculture.

The Slovak Company “ARES” depicts the Greek God Ares sitting on a rock, leaning on his sword, with his shield at his side, so there is no doubting that we are discussing the correct “Ares” when it comes to the Slovak firm.

I have no idea if they have anything to do with the plastic link in question, but I seriously doubt it.

Edited only to correct spelling errors.

Thanks John for your time…

All my best
Gyrojet

The .50 ARES was developed by ARES Inc., a company cofounded by Gene Stoner back in 1971. It is located in Port Clinton, Ohio. They still do defense R&D today, and they are now part of AAI’s team working on the Lightweight Family of Weapons and Ammunition (LFWA)/Lightweight Small Arms Technologies (LSAT) project.

BEER?? Did somebody mention beer??

I’ll answer any and all questions in return for free beer. Cartridge questions, MG link questions, advice for the lovelorn. Any question.

Ray

John this is the cartridge from ARES

regards
Gyrojet

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]BEER?? Did somebody mention beer??

I’ll answer any and all questions in return for free beer. Cartridge questions, MG link questions, advice for the lovelorn. Any question.

Ray[/quote]
Ray, if you can help me find a girlfriend for the first time ever, and she likes cartridges, I’ll send you a keg of it!

Here is the ARES website:
ares-gun.sk/?lang=english

Grtz
Jaco

(PS John/Gyrojet, thanks for answering)

Today I have got an answer on my request to Mr. Jozef Mongol, owner of ARES.

It is very nice that you have found one of the 5.000 cartridges produced some two years ago. Most probably: 147gr bullet, 3.5g of Lovex S020 powder, 280m/s.
I am a small producer of pistol bullets and mainly reloaded cartridges. But I hope to produce one day again cartridges with ARES headstamp.

Only 5000 cartridges minus 2 pieces I have (-:

Jaco, so he made 5000 cases?

Hi EOD
I was glad to get an answer from Jozef Mongol.
In my post I copied his complete answer, so the answer on your question will be…, yes.
5000 is indeed not very much, it’s looks handywork.
His name is typically not Remmington of Hornady (-:

Grtz
Jaco