.50 BMG blank

I’ve searched on this site for a picture of one or even refrence to a blank in this caliber and havn’t found anything. Are they common by most all makers? Headstamp on mine reads L C 82

The M1A1 blanks (which I assume yours is) are not relatively common since they’re not sold commercially, but they’re also not terribly rare as far as collecting goes. You can always find some 50BMG blanks at the various cartridge shows around the country, and sometimes online also:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=135003422

http://www.ammo-one.com/050BMG.html

Image =

Joe

I’m not sure what your question is. The Cal 50 M1 Blank was adopted in 1939 and is still a US standard, AFAIK. The one shown with the rosette crimp is the M1A1.

Ray

Here’s a couple of pics.

Thanks for the info, and for the pictures! JH

These WWII dated M1 blanks were being used in a US Air Force traing exercise in the mid 1980

Phil

TM 43-0001-27, June 1981 does not show the M1A1 Blank

TM 43 -0001-27, Apr 1994 does.

Anybody got a TM between those dates?

HWS II says that the T40 Blank was standardized as the “New M1” in January 1945. You have to read the book to see what the differences were.

TM 106 (1965) shows a T40E6 Cal 50 M1 Blank. I think that is a powder change only but maybe it’s a crimp change. There is a T56 Blank which is an electric primer.

That’s all I could find.

Maybe Keith can fill in the Blank spots. ;) ;)

Ray

Jim Frigiola (ex-DoD Rep for Winchester) mentioned to me sometime back that the first M1A1 Blanks (in the US) are from the early 80’s ('81 I believe). Prior to that the only blank was the old M1. Rose crimped .50 Blanks with dates prior to the 80’s, (usually 50’s dates) are actually live rounds, bullet pulled, case mouth crimped for EOD use. Somewhere on this forum someone recently posted a pic of the tool for this. Only LC & WCC have produced the M1A1 blank in the US.

Yes, the M1 wasn’t standardized till very late. It was the T40 prior to that. There was so little use for it that, at one time prior to the war, the Army proposed discontinuing .50 blanks altogether. Hence the late date in finally getting around to designating it with an M#.

I have yet to find anything to confirm this other than ancedotal information and the existance of stencilling on a handful of ammo cans, but there was an M1E1 which fell between the M1 and M1A1. I have no idea the vintage or the plant that produced these.

There have also been a grenade blank, and these electrically primed blnaks with wire pigtails (for EOD use). Neither carried an M# designation.

Hopefully Bill Woodin et al will fill us all in with Vol III.

The Blank Firing Adapter for the M2HB works with the M1A1, not the M1.

UP to the Mid 1960s, the use of .50 Blanks was fairly limited, even in the USA, as (a) the .50 was used mostly by Aircraft, and (b) the ground Gun was the M2HB, a notoriously difficult gun to Blank fire ( it requires a three legged Recoil cap attachment fitted to the short Barrel shroud and extending past the Muzzle…also very apt to fly off and go down range…

When Baekelitten Fabrik developed their Plastic Blank in the 1960s, there was some use of the Recoil cap system in Europe. Only when the M2HB was fitted with a “Movie Gun” two piece barrel (Floating chamber) did the use of Brass .50 Blanks take off …nowadays ( 2009) almost every .50 cal using nation also has .50 cal brass Blanks in its inventory, or actually makes them ( examples in my collection: JH .50 ( Singapore) ADI 03 (Australia)
FNB 01 ( FN, Belgium–Bruges Factory).

The “Modern” Blank is simply a Ball case with a 6 point star crimp, no wads.

Usually lacquered seal green, Boxer primed.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.