.50 BMG Cut-down and threaded. Any ideas on ID?

Had a gunshow today and got this

The round on the left is .30-06.
The one on the right was a .50 BMG with a 7.5mm hole drilled through the projectile, the rim cut off, and the primer flash hole bored out to 13mm and threaded. The overall length is 121mm, the case length is 94mm, the projectile length from case mouth to projectile tip is 27mm.
Take these measurements with a grain of salt but they should be within 0.5mm.

So any ideas? My thought was to allow a subcaliber blank to be inserted to allow for the functioning of an MG in places where .50 blanks are hard to get?

Cigarette lighter, to be mounted to a base of potmetal or aluminum.

How do you mean mounted and wherre would the cigarette lighter bit go on it? And why would they be linked into a 20rnd belt?

Falcon

Can the bullet be pulled out by hand? The cigarette lighter is usually in the base of the bullet.

The base can be anything from a plain round piece of steel or brass to a cut-off base from an artillery case. A screw is run up through the base plate into the threaded hole in the case.

I’m not sure why this one has that small hole drilled in the bullet nose. Maybe it is something else. I have several different things made from cartridges. Picture frames were a popular item as well as match holders, cigarette holders, etc.

Ray

Sorry, I should have made it more clear. The hole in the projectile goes right through it so the whole cartridge is a tube. Thats why one of my theory’s is the subcaliber blank with the “hollow” round allowing the gas through for it to operate the gun with a Blank Firing Device.

The threaded part accepts a bolt to bolt the round to the base. The cigarette lighter component, missing in your example, goes down through the top. There were several companies producing these at one time, so exact appearance/features vary. Some have a green cap “projectile” for example. Others vary with the inner projectile construction, the type of base they’re attached to, even the caliber chosen, etc.

cgi.ebay.com/WWII-TRENCH-ART-w-1 … 7C294%3A50

cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Trench-Art-cig … 7C294%3A50

cgi.ebay.com/WW1-or-2-Trench-Art … 7C294%3A50

Belt? Your post made no mention of a belt. How so?

Falcon

I still tend toward it being part of some “trench art”.

I have several different cigarette lighters and they are all made on the same principle. Here are photos of one that I built myself when I was in the Navy. A 5"/38 base and a 20mm lighter.

I am puzzled by the 7mm hole drilled in the bullet point. Maybe it was intended to hold something else or perhaps had a different color point inserted in it.

I also have three picture frames made with small arms cartridges. They attach to the base in the same way, with a screw from the bottom, but have different ways of holding the photos.

Ray

It was on a standard disintergrating metallic link belt of about 20 rounds. Unfortunatly the link is to corroded to get a readable marking off and, as the extractor rim has been machined of, it has no headstamp. To me, It appears as if a standard M2 Ball round has been loaded, had the extractor rim machined off, the primer pocket drilled right through into the case and opened it out to 13mm and had a 6mm hole drilled down the projectile into the case. Make sense?

Anymore Ideas?

If by the extractor rim, you mean the rim, is now milled away, then how does extraction work if it is now used as a sub-caliber devise?

There is a guy who lives down here in the South Island (in Christchurch)who machines the base of 50 cal cases. He then threads them and screws on a rim.
Then the case is resized to shoot in a 13mm TUF Antitank Rifle.
He does a very nice job of them. I havent got any here at the moment to take a photo

I got these at the gunshow in Christchurch a couple of weeks ago. But it doesn’t sound quite the same as the ones you are describing as these still have the projectile.