.50 BMG Headstamp

A friend of mine phoned me inquiring about the meaning of a headstamp on .50 Browning Machine gun. I don’t have a photo, but it is a two-entry headstamp, 12 O’Clock and 6 O’Clock positions, “PMJ 05”. Can anyone identify this for me? What the headstamp initials mean, what company or factory made it, what country is it from?

John,
The first thing that popped into my little mind was the image of those odd Yugo-contract 7.62x54R rounds that are being sold as US military surplus. The h/s were similar but the initials were JMS, or something close to that. Any info on primer seal color?

I have given all the information I have on the round. I think that due to the lack of more information, or a picture, this one is going to be in the classification of either you know what it is or you don’t. I wish I had more info on it - sometimes these things can be doped out by cartridge characteristics, letter style, etc.

PMC, S. Korean.

What does the “PMJ” stand for, if South Korean, from PMC?

John Moss

The last digit, in this example the J, designates the plant. Don’t know anyone tha’s determined that yet.

Keith - is there a box label to back up your identification? I only ask because in the past, PMC has used the Poongsan designator “PS” in conjuction with a letter (“D” is the only one I know of off hand, as in “PSD” headstamp), and not PM.

Does the PMJ round you are familiar with have a red primer seal? I don’t know the primer seal color, if any, on the round I was questioned about, but I am just asking to see if there is any characteristic of the rounds themsleves that can pin them to Poongsan’s “PMC” brand.

As of 2007, they seem to operate two factories in South Korea, one at Angang and one at Dongrae, the “D” in “PSD.” At least, that’s what they admit to in their 2007 catalog. So, to be a factory designator, it would seem that the “J” would have to be a code of some sort. Poongsan’s offices, by the way, are in Seoul, and their current U.S. Sales office is in Houston, Texas, so neither of those two locations compute to “J” either.

Poongsan acquired the old Pusan military ammunition factory, but the “J” would not equate with that either. I am not sure if they still operate it or not. The plant at Dongrae, near Pusan, was opened some years after the acquisition of the Pusan plant by Poongsan Metal Corporation, and it may have replaced the older military facility. I simply don’t know. They do not currently list a plant at Pusan itself, among their assets.

I don’t want to appear challenging - you know fifty times about the .50 BMG cartridge that I do. The nature of the inquiry to me makes it important that I find the right information; that is, I need to be positive in the identification or simply reply that I have no positive identification.

I had a contact check. MIL-HDBK-1461A DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
HANDBOOK AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS AND THEIR SYMBOLS

Ammo is linked. Being linked, for US DOD issue anyway, it’s in ammo cans and, consequently, no markings beyond the bare bones. It’s rare that military .50 appears in boxes anymore.

O.K. If I am understanding this correc tly, this is a case that I alluded to - a code assigned by the purchasing agency, in this case the US DOD. Is that correct? That would explain that the letters would not seem to stand for anything I could connect to PMC of themselves. If we know the ammo is by PMC, and evidently that is a fact, not a guess, then that would make perfect sense.

John Moss