.50 Bmg, IVI MATCH 2007

Found in latest Brass shipment from FFL Garrison in Noumea,
Neuve Caledonie, French Polynesia;
IVI MATCH 07.
Orientation: Match at 10-2 o’clock, IVI at 8 o’clock, 07 at 4 o’clock.
Cases almost “commercial finish”, no MG type deformations.
Is this a specially loaded Canadian IVI contract for France for use in Barret Anti-materiel rifles?

Doc AV.

1 Like

Doc,
You are saying you have a .50 cal (12.7x99mm) with a MATCH headstamp? I’ve never seen one. Maybe a photo?

Hi Vlad,

Here are are couple others. These are hard to find, even in Canada,

Doc - I’ve understand that they are loaded for the MacMillan rifles used by Canadian Forces.

The headstamp has a machined (or laser?) appearance.

2 Likes

Paul, thank you for the images!
Your hs’ here are traditionally made (as part of the drawing process).
Just the bunter of the lower one was made by electro-erosion.
The top one appears to be made by traditional machining.

1 Like

So, MATCH is an indication of accuracy (for snipers), it has nothing to do with shooting competition?

I won’t speak about English definitions as such but wouldn’t be the one as good as the other?

1 Like

What I mean is this ammo may be used in competition, but it is not specifically made for competition?
The way I see it, the word MATCH indicates quality, not the final purpose.

Obviously for Military purposes, as my spent cases came
from French New Caledonia, from the Foreign Legion Garrison there.
Whether IVI supplies"Match"
Quality ammo to Bolt rifle shooters in Canada for competition is another matter…in France and French controlled areas, both the Bolt
Action and Semi-Auto .50 cals are considered Category 1,(current military weapons and calibres) only
permitted to Military and National Gendarmerie.( ie, no civilian possession)
Doc AV

hello
for docAV4901
you are wrong
bolt action and semi auto .50 cal can be owned legally by civilian with the proper prefectoral autorisation
bolt and semi .50 cal are classified in cat B (in old time cat 1 ,war weapons)

I am a bit behind the times… I know that things changed a few years ago, but as I had bythen returned to Australia from Europe, I wasn’t up to date on changes…I knew about the authorisations available to the old Cat.1,but they were hardly ever given ( 1970s80s).
And I doubt that a local in New Caledonia would have an authorisation. I will count how many are in the 500 kg (1,100 lbs) of Garrison Brass (which does include a very small qty of civilian brass- mostly pistol ctgs).
May take a month or so to clean, polish, sort and recycle for shooter resale…(7,62 N,
5,56N, 9mm Geco, (smaller flashhole) 40x46 GL cartridge cases ( new post with dissection photos on HP-LP construction) and assorted other Mil. Cases ( even some
Corroded 7.5x54, 1960s).
Doc AV.

thank for your explanation
in france :full auto weapons (all caliber) ,weapons cal >20mm and perfo ,incend or explosive bullets are strictly forbiden

I remember reading once that historic water-cooled machine guns were classified differently in France.

Is there any truth there?

hello
no ,if the gun can fire full auto with simply press a trigger ,it forbidden even old gun
but i think original gatling is not because is not a true full auto gun (but the law maybe changed and now gatling are forbidden too)

Re Gatlings in France…those of pre-1886 design (11mmGras) are considered “Antiques” and not controlled, but the two designs of 1893 and 94 in 8mm
M1886 Balle M, are Non Antiques, and weapons of war…
This may have changed with 8mm Lebel calibred firearms now “permitted”…
Examples of M93/94 French Gatlings (?Puteaux) are displayed at Les Invalides.
Saw them August last.
Otoh, Miniguns (M134) are definitely a “Non”.

Doc AV

This IVI case is from what is called ‘.50cal SNIPER ELITE’, basically a match style loading for accurate anti-material rifle usage.

2 Likes

IMG_5441 IMG_5442

3 Likes

Those are nice!

Great images!

Sniper ammunition with spotting projectiles?

I wonder how “inert” the projectiles are then.

And why the 2 different color codes when the rounds (I assume) are identical?

Thanks Craig - I’d forgotten about those images!

Paul

The spotter loading in the Elite line is the yellow tip.

The Orange/Red tip are the Reduced Range Training Ammunition, specifically the tracer. Just orange is the “ball” loading. Those are the tail finned rounds illustrated in the IVI/SNC/GenDynam brochures. In USN service, they are the Mk321 and Mk322 respectively.