50 cal Frankford Arsenal box lot 12

What was the headstamp for this box? It was a freebee at SLICS, but nothing inside. The top seal is intact, the rounds were removed from the bottom.

In Italy we see some box like this one at our local fairs and they contain FA 4 dummy rounds, steel zinc-plated case with no-flash hole primer pocket.

1 Like

Vlad,

The .50 Cal. M2 dummy was introduced in 1938, replacing the M1. The M2 has a tinned case and bullet. There are three holes drilled in the case 1.7 inches up from the base and a tinned inert primer. Later during WWII the M2 was also made with steel cases. So says HWS Vol. I, page 243. Because of the low lot number, I suspect that your box held the early version with F A 38 or later headstamps.

1 Like

Unlabeled is headstamped “CAL 50 FA 38”

1 Like

I’ve seen somewhere around 2 dozen M2 .50 Dummy boxes over the years of collecting. All the steel cased .50 dummies had “S” in the lot number. Never saw any brass cased dummy rounds with an S in the lot number.

Based on the boxes I’ve seen over the years, I’m betting this box held brass cased dummies, with FA headstamps, may or may not be FA 4, but WW2 vintage.

Just gut instinct based on how the box looks, the label style, etc. from past experience.

1 Like

Same box but lot 14 has brass cased F A 43 (not plated)

1 Like