50 cal guns in iraq?

THIS PHOTO FROM THE JAN. ISSUE OF AMERICAN RIFLEMAN SHOWS A REMARKABLE U.S. SOLDIER IN IRAQ. AFTER VERY SERIOUS INJURY HE IS NOW A MARKSMANSHIP INSTRUCTOR WITH THE ARMY. MY QUESTION FOR THE GUN GUYS IS WHAT CALIBER IS THAT DOUBLE MOUNT BEHIND HIM ?

I don’t know what it is but I’m fairly certain it is Soviet becasue its on a Soviet tank.

I think it might be some sort of soft recoil mount and not actually a MG.

I read that NRA piece and John is an extreme hero and off the charts amazing man no doubt! Talk about courage on and off the battlefield! Definitely a wild gun and mount.

Jason

It’s a DShK mount, without the gun.
[/img]

You rule Rick!

THAT’S IT ALRIGHT. THANK YOU.

You beat me to it Rick! I’ve played with a few of these mounts many years ago, but am vague on their operation. The long tube/spring devices are simply for balancing the gun and cradle right? It is not a “soft” recoil arrangement is it? As I recall, when the gun is removed, the mount automatically points to the vertical…

AKMS

AKMS

Not a clue. One would think the springs are a recoil reducer, but as off CG as that mounting is, I’d agree with the “balancing” theory. I’ll be looking around for that minutiae in a minute. Still working on finding the answer to the VENTRAL GUN MOUNT on the other post.

DAMPENER may be more like it.