50 calibre link

I want to take these rounds out of link (they have different h/stamps), but don’t want do scratch them. They sit very tight. How? Help, please.

Vlad–Almost impossible to de-link them without scratchs. If you don’t want the links you could try cutting the links. Unless the headstamps are something special, I would suggest keeping them linked and buying new replacement singles for a few dollars each.

Hi Vlad,

There exist a large variety of cartridge linking devices. Some of these also work the inverse way: put a piece of a cartridge belt in and the delinked cartridges and the links will come out separated. I think delinking without scratches is almost impossible but using such a linker will decrease the damage significantly.
Try to find someone with such a device and ask if you may use it.

But as Ron already wrote: keeping them linked might be the best option; it’s up to you.

[quote=“sksvlad”]I want to take these rounds out of link (they have different h/stamps), but don’t want do scratch them. They sit very tight. How? Help, please.
[/quote]

Sksvlad

If you do have to remove these rounds from the links you can reduce the effort and scratching by twisting the cartridges. The link grips mainly on the lower loop, the centre loop is a loose fit and most .50 BMG links barely touch the neck on the front loop. If you look at the link, twisting the cartridge in one direction will tighten the link on the cartridge, twisting the cartridge in the other direction will tend to loosen it as you pull it out. Letting a couple of drops of oil work their way between the case and link for a while will also help, the oil is easily removed afterwards.

This twisting method will not work on British .303" Browning Mark II links as each loop is wrapped in the opposite direction around the cartridge to overcome this weakness of the Browning link design. As the cartridge is twisted one loop loosens but the other tightens.

An alternative method is to insert a screwdriver blade in the gap at the end of the rear loop and twist it gently to spring the loop open whilst twisting the cartridge out. You will never get a cartridge out of a link without some scratching at all, they will have been scratched on the way into the link anyway.

Are the links interesting, how are they marked?

gravelbelly

Links: N or Z, P10, P28, P15, P5, P19, P10, P29.
Cartridges in the link: LC 42 red tip, RA 42, LC 52 silver tip, SL 4
Free standing: U 42, U 43 (black tip), SL 42 (SL together, black tip), SL 43 (SL separately).
What are the numbers on the links?