50 Crispin Long

Hi !

1. how do you recognize the fakes ?
  2. What is the value if it is a good one?
    Thanks
    JP

I don’t know that this ctg could be faked, but I suppose anything is possible. I had 2 for a long time in my ‘accumulation’. When I began to learn how scarce they are I became interested in their value. The one and only sales reference I found was a Gun Report column from the early 90’s. Anyway, the better of the two sold a couple years ago for over $400, the other was tarnished black on one side and it sold for about $280. Both were solid with tight bullets. It’s very hard to determine market value for something that isn’t seen very often, but I think these were both fair prices considering even the better one showed a bit of spot freckling.
Hope this helps, Lee T.

[quote=“Lee T.”]I don’t know that this ctg could be faked, but I suppose anything is possible. I had 2 for a long time in my ‘accumulation’. When I began to learn how scarce they are I became interested in their value. The one and only sales reference I found was a Gun Report column from the early 90’s. Anyway, the better of the two sold a couple years ago for over $400, the other was tarnished black on one side and it sold for about $280. Both were solid with tight bullets. It’s very hard to determine market value for something that isn’t seen very often, but I think these were both fair prices considering even the better one showed a bit of spot freckling.
Hope this helps, Lee T.[/quote]
thanks.
JP

I believe that a number of different Crispin cartridges were reproduced by one of the regional cartridge collector groups a few years ago, and I know that several were auctioned at the St. Louis show in 2006, but dont recall prices for the repros.
With sufficient profit motive, or simply as a mechanical challenge, never underestimate the ability of someone to once again make something that has been made before.
As Harold L. Peterson once said- “I don’t worry about the fakes I recognize, but I worry a lot about the ones I don’t.”

Here is a scan of the set of Crispin Reproductions mentioned by John S. They are well done. You can tell them from the originals in 2 ways. 10 they are heavier and )2 they are headstamped “CCCA 2001”. Of course, the originals were never headstamped. I have an original .50 Crispin Long and placed side by side with the reproductions they appear to both be originals.

[quote=“jean-pierre”]Hi !

1. how do you recognize the fakes ?
  2. What is the value if it is a good one?
    Thanks
    JP
    [/quote]
    J-P, there are also certain tool marks to look for to determine if the round is genuine or not. These rounds have in the past been faked. If you could submit a picture of the head, it would help. M. Rea

[quote=“m d rea”][quote=“jean-pierre”]Hi !
. If you could submit a picture of the head, it would help. M. Rea[/quote][/quote]
I have sent you picture on your mail.
Thanks
JP