50-ex

I got a small shipment of cartridges today from an on-line auction. One round I can’t seem to find any information on. The headstamp reads: U.M.C.CO 50-EX. Is this a 50-95 Winchester Express?

OAL= 2.288"
Case Length= 1.935"
Head dia.= 0.625"
Body dia.= .571" tapered to .550"
Neck dia.= 0.533"

Hope it is the 50-95 Winchester Express because I have the same one. Does it have a copper plug in the tip of the bullet? Vic

According to Municion it is a 50-95 WCF (50-95-300 express): http://www.municion.org/Win/50-95Win.htm It has a pic of the headstamp near the bottom.

Matt
You are correct. The next to the bottom headstamp is exactly like mine. Thanks for the link.

Vic
Sorry, no copper plug. It has a flat nose lead bullet. There is a little info about that copper plug in the link in Matt’s reply.

So it looks like it must be a 50-95 Winchester Express. I got it for $11 plus a buyer’s fee and shipping, don’t know if that’s a good deal or not?

In effect, the 50-95 Winchester was an “improved” 50-70 Govt to be used in the 1876 Winchester rifle. If it was loaded with the express bullet it was called the 50-95 Winchester Express. But, you’d never catch UMC putting “Winchester” on one of it’s headstamps. It is interesting that they called it Express with the plain FN bullet.

Ray

Roger…

It is a 50-95 Winchester Solid Ball…( as UMC called it)…as it does not have the copper tube in the nose of the bullet. With the copper tube it would be the .50-95 Express. The Express bullet is 300 grains and the Solid is 312 grains.

Randy

[quote=“30army”]Roger…

It is a 50-95 Winchester Solid Ball…( as UMC called it)…as it does not have the copper tube in the nose of the bullet. With the copper tube it would be the .50-95 Express. The Express bullet is 300 grains and the Solid is 312 grains.

Randy[/quote]
So Randy (and all), the headstamp says 50-EX yet it doesn’t have the hollow-point bullet with the copper insert. If you look close at the photo you can see that there is a slight dark ring near the head so this may be a reloaded cartridge with a cast flat nose bullet.

I just revisited the link above and the last cartridge in profile has the same dark ring near the head. I can’t read what the article says so I’m stuck to just looking at the photos. Just what is an express bullet? The bullet in my round is definitely a “hard” cast bullet.

Roger

Go to the Home page. In the Glossary look up “copper tube bullet”.

My guess is that UMC didn’t want to call it the 50-95 Winchester, or the 50-95 W, so they called it the 50 EX. It would have been simpler if they simply called it the 50-95 but even that had Winchester connotations.

A lot of business rivalry in those days. Reminds me of the 257 Remington Roberts and the 257 Winchester Roberts. The same cartridge with two names.

Ray

Roger–U.M.C. did use the .50 EX headstamp on both the 300gr. Copper Tubed Express load and the 312gr. Solid Ball. Below is an excerp from the 1905 U.M.C. catalog.

Ron
Isn’t that strange that they both had the same “EX” headstamp, but only one was called an “Express”?

Well, Happy Thanksgiving all.