50 MG Sabot

On a site there is a 50 BMG cartridge for sale with a Black Sabot. I looked in Ron Fuch’s info and can find no mention of it. Does anyone know anything about this round?
Carolyn

Do you have a photo?
What is the projectile type, how many petals does the sabot have, what are the case markings?

I have a sectioned experimental .50 with a black sabot which entirely encloses the bullet (see central one below). Not sure what it is, though.

I was told that it is in Ron’s book under Canada 111.1 IVI 73
Carolyn

In Tony’s picture of the .50 (the one in the center), the sabot profile looks very much like the sabot for a DU penetrator used in the 7.62X51, which is also black plastic. So it is a DU round?

I don’t know what it is. It looks rather like a Belgian experimental as drawn in de Hek and Lenselink (Military Cartridges Part 1) which is shown as having this headstamp: 12.7 80 F.N.

What I can see of the headstamp on mine is: .50 87 and the beginning of a letter which could be F or P.

As I recall of the DUDS rounds, the bullets were rather blunt.

The 7.62 DU sabot is on the right. Looks much the same to me.

Tony, to me your .50 BMG saboted round looks alot like a scaled down version of the British 30mm Rarden APDS. Is it possible that it could have benn a scaled down test projectile used during the development of the 30mm?

The Chinese used a similar shaped 3-piece black sabot in the 12.7x108 case. My example has a dark brown steel case headstamped 41 (over) 85.

An almost identical bullet exists with a white sabot with a very thin driving band. For the rest it looks almost identical to the specimen in Tonys photo. It is an APDS made by FNB.

[quote=“CAROLYN”]I was told that it is in Ron’s book under Canada 111.1 IVI 73
Carolyn[/quote]
And filed in Ron’s book under 143.0 Valcartier Industries USA

I V I 7 3 APDS 3 pc black sabot 1s cl b/pl 0673
(also see U.S. – IVI) (filed under U.S. – IVI)
Mfgd by: PATEC (Pacific Technical), sabot contains ptd steel penetrator, 7.91mm in diameter x 1.557” in length

[quote=“DennisK”]The 7.62 DU sabot is on the right. Looks much the same to me.
[/quote]
I didn’t mean that the DUDS sabot was blunt, but the bullet - the penetrator - compared with the finely-pointed one in my example.

I doubt it, given the 87 date on the case (assuming that this is a date!).

Sorry Tony, I didn’t see that you had posted the headstamp.