50 mm Oerlikon

Does anyone have pictures or know the headstamps used in the 50 mm necked case rounds experimented by Oerlikon?

Fede, I guess you have the Oerlikon pocketbook overwie where it is depicted somewhere as far as I do remember?

And to my own surprise I have even found it in my files along with the 55mm and the 60mm:

Alex, yes, I have the German and English editions of the pocket book, but I recently saw a picture of a 50 mm round -looks like 50x300- and started to wonder if anyone may have examples in his collection. In any case, I would be glad to see pictures of any of those experimental rounds between 35 and 60 mm.

If I remember correctly there is one such round in the museum at Reuenthal (Switzerland) as they got a najor part of the Oerlikon factory collection. They have a huge amount of Oe guns there now (inlcuding very old ones).
I assume your images must be from there.
Wish I knew all the different case lenghts of the 35mm+ cases.
One would think that Oerlikon has all the case drawings in their archive… (and many others)

I had a replica of the 50 x 355 Oerlikon made for me (machined from solid aluminium) from drawings supplied by Bob Gerber. It is shown in the photo below:

47-60mm EXPERIMENTAL CARTRIDGES FOR AUTOMATIC WEAPONS

47x326R Vickers Class P (ac/AT), 47x428R Vickers 3½ pr (naval AA, repA), 50x330 (Supershot, necked-up 35x228, German 1980s, RepP), 50x355 501 MK (Oerlikon for USN, late 1950s, repA), 55x450B Gerät 58/MK 114 (German AA/ac, late-WW2, repA), 57x515R 6pr 6cwt (British AA, 1940s), 60x408R (IMI/OTO 1980s AFV)

1 Like

Alex,
in the German edition of the Oerlikon Pocketbook at least, the Patronenwald photo is followed on the next page (p. 96) by a table giving the data of the shown 35-60 mm cartridges, including base diameter (last column) and case length (second-last column).

Jochem, thanks! See, I should not only remember images being present but also look at the data provided!

The “forest” photo was posted in the April 2011 issue of the ECRA Bulletin (No.552) in an article by Bob Gerber about Oerlikon 35-60mm developments. He goes on to describe the results of the calibre studies, as follows:

The results of the studies conducted during 1949 and 1950 formed the basis for a mandate which Oerlikon received from the US Navy to develop naval guns in the calibres 35mm and 50mm. As a result, the 35mm twin naval turret was constructed and delivered to the US Navy. The ammunition and cannon then became the basis for the terrestrial Oerlikon twin AA gun with Contraves fire control system.
The 50mm project, which was designated 501 MK (50mm type 1 machine cannon), does not appear to have gone beyond internal ballistics testing in a pressure barrel.

Bob goes on to provide more detailed information including a measured drawing of the 50 x 355 501 MK (which is not the same as any of the 50mm examples in the “forest” study). The relevant page in the Bulletin is shown below:

Oerlikon MK 501

Tony, thanks a lot!