.52 Sharps & .50 Gallagher

Hi to all,
picked up a .52" Sharps linen cartridge the other day and hopefully a .50" Gallagher carbine foil and paper cartridge to follow and have which is probably bit of a dumb question about these rounds.
While searching for info about them,which seems to be very limited on the net, I came across a auction site which had boxes for both of these rounds and noticed that they were marked as 52-100 & 50-100, there were a few other references to the 100 but no explanation as to what if refers to, with my limited search for info it doesn’t seem to refer to charge or bullet weight can someone provide me with this info please.
Also notice that there were different ways of spelling Gallagher, with and without the H even on the boxes???
Atb
Tony

NOT “bit of a dumb question”!

Gallager and Smith Percussion Cartridges. GR 1961…pdf (2.9 MB)

.52 = 52/100 i.e. the caliber

.50 = 50/100

Small Arms in the United States Service by B.R. Lewis::

At the above listed website you can download a PDF copy of this book if you do not already have the PDF.

1 Like

Many thanks bdgreen,
had a good look through both of these but,unless I’m missing something, I’m still none the wiser as to what the 100 refers to

Atb
Tony

Tony,

Packet label example, at the red arrow the caliber is expressed as 54-100.

%20a

This is the old way of expressing the caliber of the ammunition or the firearm.

And the " 100 " refers to an inch divided into 100 parts.

For example the .52 Sharps you discussed in your post above has a caliber of .52 inches which was expressed as the FRACTION “52/100” or “52-100” many years ago.

So 52/100 Caliber or 52-100 Caliber = .52 Caliber

Ah,totally didn’t think of that one!
Thank you so very much bdgreen