.55 Boys Dummy

Any thoughts or info on this .55 dummy/drill round would be appreciated; who, when, why, where it was made.
Thanks.

I have a 7 x 57 case with the same “K 37” headstamp.Mine was made by kynoch but I don’t know if it has the same meaning of that headstamp on your round.I don’t collect these kind of ammo

Pivi

I suspect that this is one of the Home Guard drill rounds that do not fit any proper service Mark. The case alone is quite nice, being a Practice Mark I by Kynoch, but you can see where the new bullet has been stab crimped at the neck. I have a similar non official drill round with a cast lead bullet painted red.
It is the left hand round in the picture of Boys dummy and drill rounds

Regards
TonyE

Tony,
It is interesting that your Home Guard dummy has a short bullet like mine. Can you post a close-up of the neck crimps? Any idea of the scarcity or value of such a round?

Just to emphasise the point made more discreetly by TonyE, I think we should try to correct the very common error of spelling the gun and ammunition “Boyes”. I don’t know where that came from, but the man’s name was “Boys”.

Jon

Here is an enlargement of the neck crimp on my round. As you can see, the new stab crimp has been placed in the same line as the original slit crimp, possibly using a screwdriver blade or similar.

Regards
TonyE

Mine, 4 actually, are in the same location, and look like they were done with a similar tool. Are these drill rounds scarce and found with any headstamp?

I apologize to Tonyx2 for my error in terminology.

I do not know how scarce these are, but it is the only one I have personally seen in forty years. There are all sorts of Home Guard drill rounds about. For example I have a ,45 ACP with a red wood turned bullet/spacer and I have seen other types in other calibres.

In the early days of the war the supply system was fairly haphazard and local ingenuity played a big part. Also the range of weapons was to say the least esoteric. There were all the various weapons donated by the US “Guns for Britain” campaign, from broomhandle Mausers to LP.08 arttillery Lugers, plus all the French small arms brought by the Fench troops after Dunkirk that were re-issued to the Home Guard. Almost any locally made drill round was used for training in those dark days.

Regards
TonyE