55 Schaeffer

Hello All,
I see a 55 Schaeffer shot case on the Linkous Auction Group cartridge auction.

https://linkousauctiongroup.proxibid.com/aspr/55-Schaeffer-Shot-Case/42701852/LotDetail.asp?lid=42701852

Can someone tell me something about the 55 Schaeffer cartridge.
I have never heard of it before so I am curious.
What firearm was it used in?
I assume it was found in both shot and ball loadings.

Thank you all for your assistance.
Brian

I’ve not seen nor heard of it either.

Hello Clark,

The correct name is “Schaefer”, who was an American gunmaker -and later importer- located in Boston, Mass. His company was established in 1853 under the name of “William R. Schaefer” and in 1880 changed to “William R. Schaefer & Son”.

There are other cartridges attributed to him, one is a standard 12 gauge cartridge headstamped “SCHAEFER 12”, and the rest is a very interesting series of rifle and shotgun cartridges using modified Maynard Model 1873 cases (rim turned to match head size).

I have never seen any documentation about these cartridges, but I think that most of them came from cased sets of shotguns or combination guns made by Schaefer.

Regards,

Fede

Thank you Fede,
Your knowledge truly amazes me.
I see that Cornell Publications has a catalog for Schaefer.
https://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=866

All the best from sunny northwest Washington State
Brian

Now it makes sense. I got the following from another collector / historian in the mail this AM.

A GUNSMITH, LAST NAME SCHAEFFER. BUILT SOME COMBINATION RIFLE SHOTGUN OUTFITS BETWEEN 1873? AND 1882? HE MODIFIED MODEL 1873 MAYNARD CARTRIDGES TO FUNCTION IN HIS GUNS BY TURNING DOWN THE RIM ON THE CARTRIDGE TO REDUCE ITS DIAMETER.

A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A COMPLETE SET OF SCHAEFFER RELOADING TOOLS FOR THE 40-70 AND 55 SHOT CARTRIDGES ALONG WITH A DOUBLE HAND FULL OF BOTH THE CALIBERS OF SHELL HE HAD MODIFIED. I SOLD THIS GROUP OF ITEMS TO DUANE RICHARDSON IN SAN ANTIONO, TEXAS THE SAME DAY I BOUGHT THEM. WHERE THEY WENT AFTER HE PASSED ON I HAVE NO IDEA. AS THE ALTERED SHELLS WERE NO LONGER MAYNARD CARTRIDGES I DIDN’T KEEP ANY OF THEM. AT ONE TIME I HAD A LOT OF RESEARCH MATERIAL ON SCHAEFFER AND HIS GUNS BUT HAVEN’T SEEN IT IN YEARS.

Here are two I have cataloged as Schaefer, as can be seen rims are nothing loke the example in the sale. I think RTB had some in his sales.
A .35-30 and a .40-47 Schaefer Maynard.
DSCN3972