577/450 Kynoch box

After Guy’s question about the Kynoch box colours on the “Kynoch date code” thread, I looked through my Kynoch boxes. For some reason, this one amused me so I thought I would share.

Is it just me, or does it really matter that “these cartridges are fitted with Non-rusting caps” given that they are loaded with Black Powder?

Cheers,
Jason

Possible connection: Green for blackpowder and yellow for smokeless? I have never seen a box of Kynoch smokeless blanks. My .450 Blanks are blackpowder, and 3 modern Kynoch Nitro Express boxes I have are red and yellow.

After looking at the Kynoch boxes in my collection the colours seem to indicate what powder was loaded.

green/red=Black Powder
yellow/red=Cordite
blue/red=Nitro for Black

Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Jason

Seems the most logical explanation. Can anyone such as John P-C confirm this?

See my post on the .450 blank thread confirming the colour codes.It is detailed on Page 32 of the 1950’s spiral bound Kynoch catatlogue.

Regards
TonyE

[quote=“Sht_LE”]After Guy’s question about the Kynoch box colours on the “Kynoch date code” thread, I looked through my Kynoch boxes. For some reason, this one amused me so I thought I would share.

Is it just me, or does it really matter that “these cartridges are fitted with Non-rusting caps” given that they are loaded with Black Powder?

Cheers,
Jason[/quote]

Yes it would matter, it the caps were non-rusting as the older cap salts were another source of rust.

[quote=“Sht_LE”]After Guy’s question about the Kynoch box colours on the “Kynoch date code” thread, I looked through my Kynoch boxes. For some reason, this one amused me so I thought I would share.

Cheers,
Jason[/quote]

I shoot blackpowder regularly and have no problems with rust, cleaning is necessary but simple. However, the residues from some primers, irrespective of propellant type, are very corrosive. Years ago I fired some WRA 1943 .303 rounds which turned out to be AGRESSIVELY corrosive. As you walked back from the firing point you could just about hear your rifle rusting. I cleaned that rifle every day for a week before I stopped the rusting. Never again will I shoot U.S. wartime ammo, I inerted the rest and made dummies for clip fillers.

gravelbelly

Well, learn something new everyday. I shoot a lot of black powder, in both muzzle loaders and cartridge arms, mostly 577/450 MH and 577 Snider. I have to clean quickly or the black powder causes rust. If I had to guess it might be the climate, where I live it is very hot and very humid. However, a pot of boiling water down the bore seems to take care of everything so I have never had a problem with black powder or corrosive primers. BTW, I think the POF primers are worse than the WW2 WRA.

Cheers,
Jason