.577/450 Martini Henry "odd bullet"

In the IAA Journal Issue 497, May/June '14, Peter Vierke asked if this .577/450 Martini Henry “odd bullet” is genuine or “after-market”?

Peter, I have exactly the same projectile in the same Eley shell as well as an empty projectile and a normal projectile, also in the same Eley shells.
By the looks of the bottom of the 19mm deep cavity in the empty projectile, it’s definitely factory made!

I was told by the 97 year old previous owner, that it is an explosive projectile, used during the Anglo Boer Wars in South Africa.

Opinions will be appreciated!

Delete, wrong post.

Pablo,
In subsequent issues of the IAA Journal, the consensus is that someone has placed the wrong-sized percussion shell in the hollow point of the bullet. These percussion shells (often associated with General Jacob) were available in a variety of sizes and inserted by hunters when required to create an explosive bullet. The percussion shell was slightly tapered and when correctly inserted in the right cavity, the shoulder of the percussion shell is flush with the nose of the bullet. Having a percussion shell protrude that far out of the bullet would defeat the purpose. There’s additional info in Issue 498 along with pictures of the percussion shells and the container in which they were sold. That issue was mailed on July 1. eJournal subscribers have already got theirs.

Thank you for the info. Looking forward to read the latest Journal! But here in South Africa I’ll have to wait a little bit longer for the slow mail…

I reckon when the hollow is filled with gunpowder before inserting the percussion cap, it would make an effective explosive projectile?

Didn’t Eley manufactured that bullets on purpose, so that it could be converted to explosive projectiles (if they didn’t do it themselves)? Why else would Eley manufactured projectiles with such large diameter and deep cavities??? None of their other bullets had such large hollows, as far as I know of?