577/450

I recently examined a Kynoch 10 round red and green box of 577/450 MH black powder ammo with a “Fitted with Nonrusting Caps” stick on label. The bullets in these ctgs were not paper patched leading me to believe they are reloads. Did
Kynoch ever load non paper patched 577/450 ammo? From the stick on I believe this is a late production item.

[quote=“orange”]I recently examined a Kynoch 10 round red and green box of 577/450 MH black powder ammo with a “Fitted with Nonrusting Caps” stick on label. The bullets in these ctgs were not paper patched leading me to believe they are reloads. Did
Kynoch ever load non paper patched 577/450 ammo? From the stick on I believe this is a late production item.[/quote]
I can answer this a different way. Kynoch produced this round in small quantities until late on in small batches, (maybe even right to the very end). They did this with a lot of the old calibres. The batches getting smaller and more sporadic as the years went on and demand dropped off. That basically sums up the reason for the final demise of the company. They never took up the challenge of producing good enough ammo in the new calibres as their traditional market died.

There would have been no absolute ballistic need for it to have been paper patched and I can easily imagine it could have been abandoned as too fiddly, or they lost the people capable of rolling a paper patch.

Whether Kynoch did or didn’t I don’t know but there is a lot of non paper patched 577/450 ammo around. I think Midway sell some

If the rounds were reloads there would be good evidence of resizing because those old chambers were pretty loose and the bullets would probably be cast rather than swaged.

Thank you.
I have never personally saw any Kynoch MH ammo or a catalogue illustration showing this ctg not paper patched.
The late c1970 Kynoch MH ammo I have examined is all patched.
The only two MH factory rounds I have saw with a naked bullet were Dominion and Gevelot.