58 cal

On the SoldUSA site they have a 58 cal cartridge listed with a Button Head Primer, to me it looks more like a Benet primer. I talked to the owner and he can’t supply dimensions. It does have 3 crimp marks holding the cup in place. My question is does anyone know what kind of bullet this is?
Carolyn

Carolyn, the so-called “button head” variation of the cup primed (Benét) .58 Musket cartridge was purposely made as an intent to avoid rim fracture. The raised portion, when striked, didn’t stretched the metal as in a normal cup primed case. No comments on the bullet…

Others using this forum are much more qualified to answer than I, however, is there some confusion here between Stephen Vincent Benet, one time commanding officer of Frankford Arsenal and inventor of the Benet priming system, and Thomas G. Bennett of Winchester Repeating Arms Co. ?

Randy

CAROLYN
THE BULLET HAS BEEN HEAVILY RESHAPED - POST MANUFACTURE.

30 army
YOU HANDLED THAT MUCH NICER THAN I COULD HAVE. BY THE WAY, STEPHEN VINCENT BENET’S GRANDSON, WITH THE SAME NAME, WROTE THE PULITZER PRIZE WINNING POEM, JOHN BROWN’S BODY. JUST ONE MORE FOOTNOTE, BENET HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DESIGN OF THIS PRIMING SYSTEM, AS A MATTER OF FACT, THE GOVERNMENT LOST ATTEMPTING TO DEFEND IT IN COURT. I DON’T REMEMBER THE DETAILS, PERHAPS Fede CAN FILL THEM IN.

I don’t understand the reference to T.G. Bennett. Is he connected to the priming system of the cartridge pictured? Jack

For whatever it’s worth I agree 100% with GWB the bullet has been reshaped - post manufacture.

Jack my guess the post that had the Winchester Bennett noted was edited & corrected so now it’s gone.

Pete: Thanks for the comment. Sometimes I forget that text on a web thread is a moving target. Jack