58 Milbank primed

Found this at the Kansas Cartridge Show. 58 carbine Milbank primed.
I didn’t know it existed.
Showing it next to a 58 Musket Milbanked Primed.

Both are very nice cartridges Krag!

-Dave

Thanks Dave.
I was just wondering if anyone has seen the 58 Milbank carbine or has any information about it?

krag56:

BRUCE, I ONLY KNOW OF 3 OTHER MILBANK PRIMED 58 CARBINE CARTRIDGES, 2 LOADED AND 1 SECTIONED ROUND. THE SECTIONED ROUND SHOWS NO SIGN OF HAVING EVER HAD POWDER IN IT - NOT A REAL SMOOTH JOB OF SECTIONING - COULD BE FACTORY OR PERHAPS ARSENAL. THE SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION DISPLAY AT THE INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION PHILADELPHIA, 1876 LISTS A MILBANK PRIMED 50-70 BUT THE INVENTORY MAKES NO MENTION OF ANY OTHER CALIBERS. THE CARBINE LOADING IS FAR MORE RARE THAN ITS BIG BROTHER.

My Milbank cartridges.

Very nice bunch Bruce.
You can add the .577/.450 Martini Henry to your wish list as Winchester also made it in that, plus the .44 WCF, and the .45-75 Centennial in a ball loading. And I believe the Dupee.
That Carbine is most excellent. Good on ya.

Thanks Pete.
I was aware of the .44 WCF, .45-75 Centennial & 50-70, but not the Dupee or Martini Henry. Might take a while to find these ;)

Bruce, that IS INDEED a “very nice bunch” of cartridges as Pete had mentioned!

The 4 cartridges on the far right look similar to the cupfire system… And yet Milbank primed…
What caliber of cartridges are they, and what years were they produced?

EDIT TO ADD QUESTION: …and who made them?

-Dave

RimPin:

DRAWER 4, ITEM 141, OF THE, SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION AT THE INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION PHILADELPHIA, 1876 SEHOWS A SECTIONED SPECIMEN OF WHAT IS COMMONLY CALLED THE MILBANK FRONT LOADING CARTRIDGE. IT IS LISTED AS BEING OF .30 CALIBER. THERE ARE NUMEROUS VARIATIONS OF THIS CARTRIDGE, BRASS CASE, COPPER CASE, LOCATION OF THE PUNCH MARK ON THE SIDE OF THE CASE, ETC. THE MAJORITY OF COLLECTORS BELIEVE THAT THE CARTRIDGES WERE MANUFACTURED BY FRANKFORD ARSENAL - I HAVE NO PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE OR SOURCE OF INFORMATION THAT WOULD SUPPORT OTHERWISE. THEY WERE FABRICATED CIRCA 1874 AND ARE A PISTOL (REVOLVER) CARTRIDGE. THEY ARE ALSO THE MOST OFTEN ENCOUNTERED MILBANK PRIMED CARTRIDGE.

GWB - Thank you for your great response! Your information is more than superior, and greatly appreciated!

-Dave