.58 Musket Benet Primed button head

I am trying to id this cartridge for a friend, sorry for the bad pictures as it is not in my possession. Hopefully bad picture’s show up. Measurements are as
1.752 O/A
1.236 case length
.604 Blt dia
.646 Neck dia
.665 rim head
.764 rim dia
.078 rim width
44.6 g weight
Small raised bump in center of head. No headstamp

.58 Musket, Benet Primed “button head” case

Thanks FrankN ! We all want to believe we have something rare or hard to find . Instead I find out some interesting history and it always reminds me why I enjoy it so much.

2 Likes

Hello Philip,
I should have posted a better description regarding the .58 Musket round you inquired about. It was getting late and I was taking my last look at the forum for the day.

Of course I don’t know of your collecting interests are but the .58 Musket cartridge is an important part in US military arms and ammunition development. After the Civil War several attempts were made to convert single shot muzzle loading rifles to cartridge firearms. These were early precursors of the trap-door rifles and carbines. Most notable of these early conversions was the “Allen Conversion”.

Frank

Thanks again Frank!

Philip.

Not “Allen” but Allin…a worker at Springfield Armory in the 1860s.
Worked on the first conversionof .58 calibre muskets to breechloaders, and was instrumental in the design ofthe later separate “shoes” forthe .50/70 and .45/70 Sprinfield designs.
In the .58 Allin rifle, the “shoe” for the breech-block was cut out of the original .58 musket barrel, using the breech plug as the rear locking surface.
The block hinge was attached to the barrel top surface. Berdan improved this with his .58 Berdan conversion of Enfield and Springfield muskets, using a keyed hinge, locking into two pins in the barrel…less weakening of the barrel at the breech ( Spanish M67 Berdan).
The original Allin design was specifically for .58 cal. muskets, and had a short life, as Calibres were reduced, and damascus twist, and skelp straight welded barrels gave way to drilled iron and eventually steel barrels.
( as in Snider .577 steel barrels in the late60s- early 70s).

Doc AV

1 Like