5mm rimfire with raised Gaupillat headstamp

Can anyone tell me about how long the Gaupillat headstamp continued to used after the 1883 purchase of the company by Gevelot. Here’s a poor picture of a 5mm with the raised GAUPILLAT PARIS headstamp. The headstamp would still be difficult to see even if the picture were better focused.

I’m not sure about the dates but isn’t that an inside primed rather than a rimfire?

Interesting question!
I don’t have the answer right now, too many drawings to check and to look carefully at the dates and modifications.
But be carefull (I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT YOUR SPECIFIC CTGE, BUT IN GENERAL) : after 1918 all the Gaupillat ctges were made by SFM with Gaupillat hstp
jp

Would SFM have used a raised headstamp that late?

Like rimfire think the cartridge may be a centerfire. Have a proven rimfire with raised back to back G at 6 O’clock, star at 3 and 9 O’clock and 5 mm at 6 Oclock. Neat way to prove the inside is to have your dentist x-ray it. Mine happens to be a shooter so had no problem. No it will not go off with an x-ray.

Gourd

I don’t think so
jp

Hi !

1. There are some technical problems on this forum.
    It is not the first time I noticed the following fact :
    I answer to somebody and later I see that there is another post between the question of the guy and my answer.

2. Concerning this post :
    “I don’t think so” was relative to the question of Guy : “are raised hstps as late as 1918”

3. The 5 mm of Guy is a CENTER FIRE

JP

JP–The software posts follow-up answers in the order received by date and time. If someone else posts a reply even 1 second before yours, it will show up before yours in the list.

[quote]gamgjm Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:01 pm

Like rimfire think the cartridge may be a centerfire. Have a proven rimfire with raised back to back G at 6 O’clock, star at 3 and 9 O’clock and 5 mm at 6 Oclock. Neat way to prove the inside is to have your dentist x-ray it. Mine happens to be a shooter so had no problem. No it will not go off with an x-ray.

Gourd [/quote]

I have a 5mm star crimp blank dummy with a raised GG (12 O’clock) Stars at 3 and 9 O’clock and 5mm at 6 O’clock. I always assumed it too was an inside primed centerfire. Are all 5mm with this headstamp rimfires? I’m sure JP could help out on this one.

Paul

[quote=“rimfire”]

I have a 5mm star crimp blank dummy with a raised GG (12 O’clock) Stars at 3 and 9 O’clock and 5mm at 6 O’clock. I always assumed it too was an inside primed centerfire. Are all 5mm with this headstamp rimfires? I’m sure JP could help out on this one.

Paul[/quote]
HI Paul,
your round is a center fire also
SFM never made 5 mm rim fire.
I don’t think 5 mm Rim Fire exist furthermore. Do you know any ?
JP

JP,
what is the commercial name of the 5 mm above?5 mm CF?
It looks like a 5 mm Revolver altough much shorter.Was it inteded for a palm squeeza pistol?

Pivi

[quote=“Pivi”]JP,
what is the commercial name of the 5 mm above?5 mm CF?
It looks like a 5 mm Revolver altough much shorter.Was it inteded for a palm squeeza pistol?

Pivi[/quote]
Hi Pivi
you are right, it looks more than a 6 mm than a 5 mm
JP

Jean-Pierre.

The 5mm Flobert RIMFIRE definately exists. I have them in a number of headstamps in ball and a shot loading too. The 5mm pictured is definately a centre fire. The G headstamp was used on Flobert ammunition up until WW2.

[quote=“powdertin”]Jean-Pierre.

The 5mm Flobert RIMFIRE definately exists. I have them in a number of headstamps in ball and a shot loading too. The 5mm pictured is definately a centre fire. The G headstamp was used on Flobert ammunition up until WW2.[/quote]

Hi

1. the cartdige shown is a CF I said (and we both agree)
  2. the cartridge shown from the picture doesn’t look like a 5 mm CF for REVOLVER but looks like a 6 mm for Revolver. Perhaps Guy can give us the exact dimensions.
  3. The 5 mm RF exists but not for a REVOLVER
    Indeed, as soon as you say a revolver (in these times) it means for me a RIFFLED barrel.
  4. The 5 mm RF you are talking about (ball and shot), is member of the serie of 5, 6, 7 and 9 mm Flobert RF which were designed for SMOOTH barrel carbines.
  5. all the Flobert serie from French manufacture have the hstp in the center:
    BA, S, S (in circle), Hen, CF, MG, G, B (in star), Star, WM, Target, SwissCross
    (I know, you will recognize Belgian, German, Swiss and Italian hstps)
  6. After 1918 (and perhaps 1914) there was no more Gaupillat (Marcel like you will see under) manufacturing (I call manufacturing when you make cases AND loading). Cases were made by SFM, I am 100% positive (and perhaps loading also).
  7. G is for Gevelot, not for Gaupillat.
  8. After Jules Gevelot and Victor Gaupillat mixed (1884) , they stayed together only a few years (till 1887) and Gevelot bought the bonds of Gaupillat.
  9. From 1887 to 1890? there is no more Gaupillat factory
  10. In 1890 the son Marcel Gaupillat opened a new manufacture.
    The hstp on the ctges is MG.
    JP

jp

J-P. That is a great synopsis of this thread. I am not into this type of ammunition much, as you know, and this thread was starting to confuse me. It is very straight in my head now.

Sorry, but I’m going to have to wait until I get one of the cartridges before I can provide any dimensions. I have a small handful that should be coming to me within a couple of weeks. The seller thought they were .22 BB caps, but the headstamp made it obvious enough that they were metric, so I assumed without actually seeing one that they must be 5mm Floberts. I had suspected they might possibly be centerfire but had not done any research on this, intending to wait until I had received them. However, having looked in Brandt’s Manual of Pistol and Revolver Cartridges, I’m going to agree with Pivi and say that this is a 6mm center fire cartridge for the Protector palm pistol.

It is a 6 mm Protector.

I think headstamp GAUPILLAT was used a few years after the creation of the SFM because the tools of GAUPILLAT were of very good quality and they cost expensive.

chassepot

I received the cartridges. The dimensions are:

bullet .226"
neck .236"
head .238
rim .281"
case length .262"
overall length .413"

These are a good match to the 6mm Protector center fire shown in Brandt’s book as catalog # 22.

Here’s the sectioned Gaupillat 6mm Protector:

Perhaps Ron can revise the subject of this thread to say 6mm rather than 5mm.

hum !
nice work! more interesting than to accumulate ctges in a cabinet side by side. at least we see how it is inside (and even more explainfull than a drawing)!
jp