6.35 mm FA-T127 Duplex Cutaway

6.35mm FA-T127 duplex, two 59gr projectiles in a 2.08 long case, headstamp: FA/ 59. wolfgang

wolfgang

Great sections, as we’ve come to expect from you!

I think you’ll find that the bullets are 59 grains each, actual weight. GMCS jacket with steel core and lead base plug. The FA T124 used the single 70 grain bullet (actual weight is 67.7 gr.)

The Winchester CPS bullets will generally run about 53 and 70.5 grains actual weight.

Ray

Thanks for the correction Ray, got my info from the gun zone which apparently has bad information on it. I trust your and the IAA knowlegde more than anyone elses! Going to correct orginal post. wolfgang

As the author of The Gun Zone article, I see that I need to go back and check which source I used for that citation.

There are five basic 6.35mm cartridges. Here are data on the five that I have tabulated. Weights are actual. Nominal weights may be slightly different. Note that there is no designation of case length in milimeters.

Ray

25 Winchester FAT116 Single Ball
FAT110 case, 1.88", WCC 59
Bullet=70.5 gr copper plated steel
Case= 127.7 gr
Powder = 33.8 gr Ball

25 Winchester FAT115 Duplex Ball
FAT110 case, 1.88", WCC 59
Bullet= Top 53.3 gr, Bottom 55.4 gr copper plated steel
Case= 127.9 gr
Powder= 33.4 gr Ball

6.35mm Ball, FAT116E1 Single Ball
FAT110 case, 1.88", FA 59
Bullet= 67.7 gr GMCS jacket, steel core with .115" lead base plug
Case= 129.0 gr
Powder= 30.2 gr Stick

6.35mm Ball, FAT124 Single Ball
FAT125 case, 2.08", FA 59
Bullet= 68.7 gr GMCS jacket, steel core with .115" lead base plug
Case= 136.7 gr
Powder= 32.3 gr Stick

6.35mm Ball, FAT127 Duplex Ball
FAT125 case, 2.08", FA 59
Bullet= Top 59.3 gr, Bottom 59.3 gr GMCS jacket, steel core with .035"lead base plug
Case= 136.5 gr
Powder= 32.6 gr Ball

I mean no disrespect Mr Watters, I love The Gun Zone too! Have several other articles printed up from there that was written by TGZ (you), esp like “the 5.56 Timeline”. Even better is that you view this site, seen the problem arise, and are going back to fix it. Thats awesome, thanks!
There is very little info out on the web describing this kind of experimental ammo, or any ammo for that matter. Its mostly still in books, in somebodys head, or old magazine articles and still hasn’t made the big leap over to the great world wide web. Much of this quality info is going to be lost forever since the younger generation doesn’t even know how to open books anymore. (My neice didn’t know how to roll up my truck window the other day!)
Ray, great knowledge, as allways.
You both get gold stars for today!

Thanks for the info and please keep on posting, Wolfgang! Your sectioned specimens and will to share them are an exellent contribution to the study of cartridges and ballistics.

I found the offending reference. The information appeared in the 1976 and 1977 editions of “Jane’s Infantry Weapons”.

There is a plethora of information right here on this Forum and in current and past volumes of the IAA JOURNAL. Every collector should own the JOURNAL DVDs. In addition, go to the IAA Home Page and browse the Bibliography and Links. There is no lack of information. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is what makes you a collector.

JMHO

Ray

Ray, do you have any info on the 6.35s/25’s outside the 5 basic cartridges you mentioned in your previous post?
Cheers

I think there is one in this photo that is a bit different, the second one down, it has a 52mm case length

Craig

There were other cases in the 6.35mm series. FA also did some experimental work with the 25 Remington case back in the 1920s. Some of these have been discussed on the Forum over the past couple of years.

What is the headstamp?

Ray

The headstamp is UMC 25 REM
the primer has an underlined U on it
I would love to know the correct name for the cartridge/variation
Cheers
Craig

Craig

HWS Vol I, page 262 has a description of the experimental cartridge. The only designation I can see is "Cartridges Cal .25.

Ray