6.5 carcano with 2 crimps

Hi,
I have several 6.5 carcano cartridges that have 2 crimps.The standard 3 points crimp on the neck and another standard crimp on the mouth.I have seen this double crimp only on rounds loaded with standard FMJ bullets.
Could someone tell me why these cartridges have 2 crimps?

Pivi

This is a picture of this double crimp:

I don’t know but there is an Italian site called World War, maybe you’ll find the answer there. If you do, please tell us the answer. worldwar.it/cultura/museo_rovereto/fr.asp

Thanks,I already know that web site,but in their page about 6.5 carcano ammo there isn’t any cartridge so crimped

Pivi

[quote=“Pivi”]Hi,
I have several 6.5 carcano cartridges that have 2 crimps.The standard 3 points crimp on the neck and another standard crimp on the mouth.I have seen this double crimp only on rounds loaded with standard FMJ bullets.
Could someone tell me why these cartridges have 2 crimps?

Pivi[/quote]

Pivi,

I can’t help with your double crimp I’m afraid. But I do have a question about the normal neck crimp. All 6.5mm Carcano rounds that I have handled have these odd shaped stab crimps, not rectangular but tapered, why? Long ago, when I had only seen a few I thought that they were distorted punch marks by worn or damaged dies, however they are all like that.

gravelbelly

Gravelbelly,
I had a thread called “Carcano bullet crimps” in which I asked about these crimps and the fact that they pointed in different directions. Italian ammo has plenty of idiosyncrasy.

Gravelbelly,
the so odd shaped crimp is a standard on every military 6.5 carcano ammo loaded with the ordinary FMJ bullet with the large cannelure (until 1936-1940).I don’t know the reason of that odd shape,however the large cannelure has a odd shape itself.

My first idea was that the double crimp was for a transitional bullet model between the old type with that large cannelure and the 1940 model with a smaller cannelure.This bullet has both types of cannelures.However,some guys said me that they have some 1912,1918 and 1924 carcano ammo with the double crimp,so they can’t be loaded with a bullet adopted several years later.

The 3 point crimp is not a good crimp because the bullet is often free to move into the neck

I recall something relating to U.S. military .45 ACP ammo that might be involved here. In the 1930s some lots of .45 pistol ammunition were found to have insufficiently secure bullet crimps, so the cartridges were re-crimped, without removing the bullets from the cases, resulting in two sets of crimps in the case body. Certainly many Carcano cartridges exhibit rather loosely crimped bullets, so perhaps this was an effort to improve matters in certain lots of ammunition. JG

Since I have 4 or 5 of these so crimped cartridges,I have unloaded one of them to see how the bullet looks like.It is a standard 6.5 carcano nickel plated FMJ bullet.There are the signs of the heavy mouth crimp and a kind of sealant.
I know that the second machinegun cartridge model of the 10.4 x 47 Vetterli has a 3 points crimp on the neck.Maybe these so double crimped cartridges are ordinary rounds for machineguns.
…it can be as J. Gill wrote as well

Pivi

[quote=“Pivi”]Gravelbelly,
the so odd shaped crimp is a standard on every military 6.5 carcano ammo loaded with the ordinary FMJ bullet with the large cannelure (until 1936-1940).I don’t know the reason of that odd shape,however the large cannelure has a odd shape itself.

My first idea was that the double crimp was for a transitional bullet model between the old type with that large cannelure and the 1940 model with a smaller cannelure.This bullet has both types of cannelures.However,some guys said me that they have some 1912,1918 and 1924 carcano ammo with the double crimp,so they can’t be loaded with a bullet adopted several years later.

The 3 point crimp is not a good crimp because the bullet is often free to move into the neck[/quote]

Pivi,

I looked at some 6.5mm Carcano’s that I have to see if it was date related. I found the following:

SMI 928 with the double crimp
SMI 929 with the double crimp
BPD 34 with the double crimp
BPD 36 with the triple neck crimp only
SMI 936 with the double crimp
BPD 949 with the mouth crimp only and a knurled cannelure visible on the bullet

So there is no obvious date related reason for the different crimps.

gravelbelly

Gravelbelly,
some italian collectors say that the double crimp has been seen on cartridges made before the steel jacketed bullet adoption (1940)
It seems to be a way to secure the bullet to the neck in a better way than the old 3 point neck crimp only

Pivi