6.5 Hylsa

Does somebody know this designation ?
Thanks
JP

JP,

Perhaps this is what you reference?

staffansvapen.se/handladdnin … -65mm.html

6.5mm-284 is a popular “wildcat” that has been “tamed” somewhat by the introduction of factory brass and perhaps loaded ammunition.

Dave

The 6.5 mm - 284 is currently available as empty cases or loaded ammo through Norma .In Italy it is now quite common

Although considered as a standardized version of the original 6.5 - 284 Winchester wildcat , I found no differences in case outside dimensions .The Norma case is heavier and stronger than the original 284 Winchester case , anyway

It may be that the current 6.5-284 brass is not the same as the original but when first introduced it was different than the wildcat 6/284 or 6.5/284 made from Wincester 284 brass. The 284W brass had a small base diameter whereas the 6.5-284 had a full .500" diameter. Shooters buying the new brass for their wildcats soon found out that it would not chamber in many rifles. That meant that they had to order a new reamer or give up the idea entirely. Many of them gave up and moved to other cartridges which was a blow to the 6.5-284. It never regained the popularity it should have had and is now eclipsed by the two 47mm cases from Scandinavia.

I have no idea what the 6.5 Hylsa is.

Ray

Ray ,
just measured some of my samples .

284 Winchester “super speed” diam : .496" - .497"

6.5 - 284 Norma : .497" - .498"

Pivi

All of my old 284W brass measures .490 to .495 at the base whereas the early 6.5-284 brass measured a true .500. Maybe Norma and Winchester called a truce and decided to standardize the dimensions.

When the 6.5-284 brass first came out, the popular wildcat was the 6/284. The new brass was supposed to be in 6mm and everyone was surprised when it came out as 6.5mm because there were no really good 6.5mm bullets at the time.

What is ironic about this entire thing is that shooters have come to realize what a good cartridge the 284W really is and they are now necking up the 6.5-284 brass to 7mm.

Ray

Ray,

The link I posted uses the term “hylsa” as I think it translates from Swedish to English as “case”, which make sense as they are selling Hornady brass. It’s also used for all other calibers of brass offered. Just thought that application was how it came to be used here. There could very well be a 6.5mm Hylsa caliber completely unrelated to the 6.5-284.

So there is now a “7mm-284”? Old is new again…

Dave

JP - I don’t know anything about the wildcat cartridge discussed here, but the word “Hylsa” is simply Swedish for “Cartridge Case”, like “Hülse” in German. If I saw this appellation on a label or in a book, I would personally think that it refers simply to a 6.5 x 55 Swedish-caliber cartridge case.

As always, I could be totally wrong (not about the meaning of the word, but rather whether or not it was ever used as the name for a wildcat cartridge).

John Moss

Ok,
I found it because of your infos.
thanks.

It is a like a 6.5 -284 but the angle of the neck cone is 50 instead of 70°.

Dimensions are :
Rim Diam 12.2
Rim thickness 1.5
groove diam : 10.5
groove heigth : 1
total case length: 55
length from base to cone 43
cone length 5
neck length : 7
cone angle : 50°
neck diameter: 7.45
inside diameter: 6.65

It is an old ctge, manufactured by AB Svenska Metallwerken in 1956
Thanks to all
Jp

Hi John !
Like very very often you are right !

I found the drawing and on it it is written 6.5 Hysla /M94 !
Therefore it is a 6.5 x 55 Swedish-caliber cartridge case !!

Pfff! a lot of research just to find a very common ctge !!

Thank you
JP
PS: Did you receive the box labels ?

JP

That sounds like the standard 6.5 x 55. The 6.5-284 case has a rebated rim. The 284W wasn’t introduced until 1963.

Ray

JP , what do you mean with " neck cone " ?

Shoulder angle of the 284 Win and the 6.5 - 284 Norma is the same ( 35°), according the drawings I have

Pivi

The included angle of the 6.5-284 is 70 degrees (2 x 35) and that of the 6.5 x 55 is 50 degrees (2 x 25).

The shoulder of a cartridge case (and the body too) is, technically, a cone. The correct way to measure a cone is included angle.

Ray

A picture is worth a thousand words. My pictures are worth at least a couple mumbled sentences…

That I would call a 17-1/2 deg. shoulder angle.
Dave

Dave

Great drawing. I could have used that a year or so ago when I was trying to describe an included angle.

And, all you other guys (not you Dave) an included angle is not always 2X one side. If you had paid attention in high school you’d know all this stuff.

Ray

J-P - yes, I did receive the labels. Thank you mon ami.

John Moss

[quote=“RayMeketa”]Pivi
What is ironic about this entire thing is that shooters have come to realize what a good cartridge the 284W really is and they are now necking up the 6.5-284 brass to 7mm.

Ray[/quote]

That sounds like my next XP-100 barrel. Ever since the 6.5/284 became the rage, I came up with a “new” cartridge for my next pistol. I called it the 7mm/284 Winchester…it is a .284 Winchester case necked to 7mm with no other changes. The barrel will be stamped that way.

You should see the looks I got from other shooters, much less the priceless looks I got from the Redding and Sierra representatives.

[quote=“IHMSA80x80”][quote=“RayMeketa”]Pivi
Ray[/quote]
That sounds like my next XP-100 barrel. Ever since the 6.5/284 became the rage, I came up with a “new” cartridge for my next pistol. I called it the 7mm/284 Winchester…it is a .284 Winchester case necked to 7mm with no other changes. The barrel will be stamped that way.

You should see the looks I got from other shooters, much less the priceless looks I got from the Redding and Sierra representatives.[/quote]Did you tell them you were going to use original .284 brass for your wildcat?

Would be fun to seen Norma make a run of 7mm/.284 Winchester brass.